friendship interlude

My days were suddenly too busy. When I wasn't in class, doing homework, or practicing Occlumency, I was lying my way around my secrets and trying not to look too suspicious. Thankfully, Hermione was taking some of the burden off me by pulling her strange disappearing and reappearing acts, though that left a lot on my mind too.

I avoided Malfoy as much as I could, and wouldn't talk to him in Potions no matter how much he tried. I tried to spend time with Dean but my mind wasn't really there, and I think he was starting to catch on.

"Lila?"

I blinked back into the present. He was literally sitting right beside me, and there I'd gone, so busy thinking about how distant I've been that I'd forgotten he was there. I was very thankful in that moment that Dean was not a Legilimens.

"Dean," I said his name in response, smiling apologetically. "Sorry."

"Don't apologize," Dean patted my hand comfortingly. "We all can be a bit spacey sometimes. Just wanted to remind you that you have detention in ten minutes. You hadn't moved — I figured you'd forgotten."

"You're so right," I checked the clock with dread. Alone with Malfoy for two hours. I couldn't avoid talking to him now. I begrudgingly stood. "I'll be back, then. Thanks, Dean."

"Lila?" His voice made me turn. He seemed suddenly very serious, and his eyes betrayed his concern. "You know you can always talk to me. About anything at all, right?"

I swallowed. "I — yes. I know. Thank you."

"I don't want you to feel like you have to keep anything from me," Dean said, though something in his eyes pleaded with me. "Above all, I'm your friend. You can trust me, Lila."

Tentatively, I stepped forward. I opened and closed my mouth, not sure what to say. Finally, I opted for nothing, and just leaned forward and swept him into a hug.

"You really mean a lot to me, Dean," I told him. "Thank you for everything."

He couldn't know. As much as he promised, I wouldn't run the risk of my secret ruining our friendship. I'd never forgive myself, and maybe he'd never forgive me.

"Anything I can do for you, Lila, I'll do it." He replied to me. "Now you'll be late if I keep you any longer. Try not to kill each other."

Despite my woes, I smiled. "No promises."

I met Malfoy again outside the supply closet. Snape took our wands and locked us in, and while Malfoy tried to talk to me I went right to work.

"Holmes, I really think we should—"

"You start with the first thirteen letters and I'll go backwards from Z." I interrupted. "We can meet in the middle at M, deal?"

He was silent for a blissful moment before he furrowed his brow at me. "Wouldn't going backwards be a lot harder than—"

"Why do you think I gave you the easy job, Malfoy?"

He growled frustratedly. "Why are you being difficult?"

I couldn't help but scoff. "Why am I being difficult? I bet it's like looking in a mirror for you."

It was our second week in detention, though nowhere close to our last. There were thousands of ingredients still all over the floor, and it was difficult enough finding the ingredients before even thinking about sorting them.

I began at the bottom shelf on the rightmost wall and Malfoy began at the top shelf on the leftmost wall. We worked mostly in silence, aside from a few snappy remarks here and there.