timeless rescue

I reunited with Brutus as we left the shack. He'd been nestled in Crookshanks' fur, and was now lying comfortably around my neck. Ron, Lupin, and Pettigrew were in front of us, Hermione and I bringing up the rear. I looked up front to Harry and Sirius, who were both smiling as they walked together. Sirius seemed rather embarrassed about how he'd behaved, but was now talking to Harry about James' cloak, which we'd retrieved from where Snape left it.

"You think Harry's going to move in with Sirius?" I asked Hermione. "You know, once his name is cleared?"

"Definitely," said Hermione. "I'd hate it if Harry had to spend any more time with the Dursley's."

"I'm sure he would too," I nodded. "Imagine how frightened the Dursley's will be when they find out Sirius is his godfather."

"Terrified, I'm sure," Hermione agreed. After a few moments, she cleared her throat. "You were right, you know — about Sirius. We wouldn't have believed you if Pettigrew weren't right there. But the next time you find out you're related to a dark wizard, you can tell us."

I shook my head. "Dumbledore warned me against it. The Ministry isn't exactly tolerant of any sort of relationship with Voldemort."

"Dumbledore said the same thing to Lupin, but his friends literally became unregistered Animagi to support him." Hermione squeezed my shoulder. "We're here for you, no matter what. You've been proving your goodness for years, now. It doesn't matter who is or isn't in your bloodline."

I squeezed Hermione's shoulder back. "Thank you for standing up to me. I really am so lucky I met you."

She smiled in return. "Me too."

The grounds were dark now. The moonlight was shadowed by a cloud, for now.

"We should hurry," I called ahead, looking warily up at the sky.

"She's right," said Hermione, catching on. "Professor Lupin—"

The cloud suddenly shifted, and our group was bathed in moonlight. Professor Lupin froze — he began to shake.

"Run," Sirius whispered. "Run. Now."

"But Ron—" Harry tried.

"Leave it to me — RUN!"

As Lupin's head began to lengthen into a snout, and his shoulders began to hunch, Sirius transformed into the dog. He jumped at Lupin, pushing him away from the rest of us. Hermione had grabbed both of us by the hand and pulled, but Harry and I were frozen.

"Look!" I hissed. "Pettigrew!"

The man had dove for Lupin's wand, knocking Ron off of his unsteady leg. There was a bang, and Ron became motionless on the ground.

"Expelliarmus!" Harry yelled. Lupin's wand flew out of Pettigrew's hand. He began to quickly shrink, grinning hideously.

"Immobulus!" I cried, but he had become too small. My spell had missed, and he went dashing off into the forest.

There was a sudden howl from across the woods, and Lupin dashed away towards it. Sirius was on the ground, bleeding.

"Sirius, he's gone! Pettigrew transformed!" Harry yelled.

Black, still in dog form, seemed to nod and then pounded away toward where Pettigrew had gone. I shook my head, staring off after him.

"He's never going to find him," I frowned.

"Don't give up hope," Harry said, almost desperately.

"He's a tiny rat in an enormous forest," I shook my head. "We should have killed him when we had the chance."