promises

It felt like I was at Kings Cross again all too soon. My father didn't want to let me go, but he did after a long embrace.

"Stay safe, Lila," he told me. "I love you. Make Anne proud."

He'd been saying "I love you" more after reading the letter. It was a heartwarming and bittersweet gesture. "I love you too." I replied.

When I set foot on the train and stepped into my usual compartment, I was pleased to find Dean already there. His letter had been the only other thing occupying my thoughts besides my bloodline. It gave me something to look forward to when returning to Hogwarts.

"Morning," I greeted him with a teasing smile. He turned around, seeming unsure what to say. He wore a hoodie and sweatpants.

"Morning," he greeted me as well. "How were your holidays?"

"Certainly dampened, but manageable," I said truthfully. I levitated my trunk into the compartment. "Yours?"

"They were nice. My stepdad brought his cousins over for the first time, so I guess we both met some relatives," Dean laughed nervously. I chuckled along with him. The two of us sat down across from each other. He was looking out the window, probably to avoid my gaze.

"Now about that letter," I began with a bat of my eyelashes. "You adore me, Thomas?"

"Who said that?" He asked, though a small grin gave him away.

"Your own words, of course." I hummed. "And that drawing you did. Incredible, by the way."

"Well, the subject really makes it," he smiled and blushed. "But I'm glad you like it."

"I love it," I told him. "It's kept my mind off of things." I rubbed the pendant between my fingers. I'd worn Anne's necklace since reading her letter. I didn't want to take it off, even in sleep.

He cleared his throat. "Well, I was thinking after all this is over I'd like to take you on a date."

Though I suspected he'd ask, it didn't stop my face from growing warm or my speech becoming stammered.

"I— sure, I'd love that," I managed, bashful. "What were you thinking?"

"Well, we'll get to go to Hogsmeade, next year," Dean suggested. "The cute little town near the school. I'm sure there are a few places there to go, if you're up for it."

Next year felt like so long from now. Dean was always so optimistic, always so hopeful that everything would be fine. What if it wasn't? What if we couldn't stop Voldemort? What if Dean was the one to die?

"Of course," I said anyway. "That sounds perfect." 

"I know it's probably a bad time, and you have other things to worry about," he reasoned. "I just wanted to give you something to look forward to, you know?"

I smiled at him. He always knew what to say. "Thank you."

The train took off shortly after, and I spent the ride joking and laughing with my friends, sneaking glances at Dean while he was laughing with Seamus or Neville. His face was flushed and his eyes were such a warm, rich shade of brown I couldn't help but admire them.

I'd never had a boyfriend before, never been on a date. I wondered what it would be like to have that hoodie wrapped around me, or hold his hand in a romantic way. I spent a lot of the train ride daydreaming, as well.

Next year couldn't come fast enough.

As much as I missed my home and my father, I was very glad to be back at Hogwarts. Dean and I found Harry and Ron in the common room, but Hermione was nowhere to be seen.