10| Bad influence

My dreams that night all revolve around Noah. In one of them, I'm wearing a bikini – though it looks more like something you'd find in Victoria's Secret – and as I walk out of his apartment, I see what looks like the whole of Maybury holding picket signs.

EVERY GREEN IS A BAD INFLUENCE, one reads, next to a picture of me taking shots. MAYBURY'S STAR SWIMMER IS NO STAR, reads another. SWIM CAPTAIN BETRAYS TEAMMATES, and IS THIS WHO WE LOOK UP TO? I don't have time to read the others before I jerk awake, feeling on the verge of a heart attack.

For a few minutes, I sit here and listen to my breathing. Now that I've slept on it, I realize I was wrong for blaming Noah. He couldn't have known when he searched my name what articles he'd find, and it's not like he told all his friends – as far as I know – but the thought of facing him today makes me nauseous. Not only does he know my secret, but he'll have seen how badly I wanted to kiss him last night – two things I'd wanted to avoid.

It's why I'm determined to avoid him when I arrive at Business Management. I quickly sweep the lecture hall and see there's no sign of him, which means if I can find a seat where he can't sit next to me, I can avoid an awkward conversation.

In theory.

I spot an empty seat between two students and make my way over. As soon as I sit down, the pair turn to look at me like I've broken some etiquette, but as awkward as it feels to be sandwiched between strangers, it's better than the alternative.

The girl to my right turns and smiles. Surprised, I smile back, taking in her glossy black hair, which falls in perfect ringlets down her shoulders.

"Hey," she says brightly. "I don't think we've met. I'm June."

It's the first time someone in this class has spoken to me, so it takes me a moment to react. "I'm Ever."

"Ever," she repeats, and as her eyes flash with something, I think maybe she's about to make fun of me. "I like it."

I settle into my seat and pull out my Ipad. "Thanks."

She glances over my shoulder, takes in my notes, and flashes a knowing smile. "Something tells me that you and my best friend would get along."

My first thought is her friend must be a swimmer, but then I remember nobody knows that about me. "Does she go here?"

"I wish. She goes to UCLA." She flicks back her curls and pulls out her notes, which are messily scribbled on a notepad. When she catches me looking in horror, she smiles. "I hate having to carry around a laptop."

"You clearly also hate being able to read," I say, "because those notes are illegible."

"Hey, these are eligible. Kinda. My note-taking skills are a work in progress."

I let out a laugh just as Noah walks in. He scans the auditorium, frowning when he spots me in the crowd. He pauses, looking as if he might ask the person next to me to move when Mr. Walter arrives. Defeated, Noah slinks into the row just ahead and pulls out his laptop.

As Mr. Walter gets on with the class, Noah risks a look back and tries to mouth something, but I pretend not to see him, forcing him to return to the front. Part of me feels bad for giving him the cold shoulder, but between him finding out my secret and the near kiss we had, avoidance right now is necessary.

June playfully nudges my shoulder with hers. "I see you've met Noah Atterwood."

I feel my cheeks burn as I keep my gaze ahead. "I take it you have, too?"

"Of course not," she says, sounding horrified. "I have a boyfriend. Wait–" she discreetly pulls out her phone and flicks through some photos before showing me who I assume is her boyfriend. "His name is Olly. Isn't he cute?"