*+*CHAPTER 13 || HEARTBEATS*

If there is anything Sano Manjiro will never understand about his wife, it's her strange fascination with his chest, constantly flitting the sides of her face against his sternum whenever she can during times when he isn't feeling as needy to fight it.

He doesn't say anything about it though since he does the exact same thing, sighing and humming against the warmth and softness of her without any intentions of letting go anytime soon lest they're interrupted by some outside force, Sachiko crying for one and Sanzu barging in because Manjiro and Y/n hasn't been answering their phones even though he's called them multiple times for another (Sanzu tends to be a little out of it during those times so Manjiro gives him the benefit of the doubt).

Now though, she seems to be even clingier than him in the most normal of days and the why has him brimming with an abundance of curiosity, practically restless from his place on the living room couch as he bunches and unbunches her(his) shirt in his grasp.

The question on the tip of his tongue when she burries herself further into him, wiggling in his lap to get more comfortable as she continues to animatedly talk about her day, her voice slightly muffled.

Manjiro hums when she asks him if he's listening to her or not, wondering out loud of his unusually quiet self.

She tenses before reluctantly pulling herself off of his chest, keeping her arms around him and tightening them ever so slightly when he shifts. "Something on your mind?"

Manjiro huffs, a smile making it's way to his face because of course she's going to notice, he can never seem to hide anything from her without being questioned about it whether suspiciously or not. It's how she even found out about Takemichi's time travelling abilities afterall, it's simply because he couldn't keep his mouth shut around her when she questioned him of his odd disappearance.

He slides his hands up and down the sides of her body, gently grabbing at the layer of fat on her hips, a small habit he can never seem to get rid of (not that he's actually trying though). "... I don't understand you sometimes."

Y/n blinks in surprise, obviously caught off guard by his reply before an amused laugh bubbles from her chest. "Hm? What are you talking about, 'Jiro?"

A rumbling hum comes from his throat. "I'm just a little confused on your fixation on my chest is all, it's not exactly the softest to lie on, you know." Manjiro states the obvious because as much as he absolutely loves the soft nuzzles she gives him, he thinks he prefers it the other way around.

She graces him with a smile, her cheeks flushing the tiniest bit and her eyes turning into soft moon crescents with the stretch of it. "I just like it." She says truthfully, untangling her arms from around him before resting her palms on his front, tracing shapes against the fabric of his shirt like she normally would on the bare of his flesh.

"Oh yeah? Do tell." Manjiro muses, relishing the fingers that slides along the expanse of his chest, pausing every once in a while to pinch at the cotton that separates them from coming into contact with his skin.

"It's- it's nice. I can hear it when I'm there."

Manjiro perks up, brows quirking up in wonder along with a fluttering of wings in his stomach. His lips part to speak but not a word was uttered, stunned at the implications of her sentence.

The white haired man swallows and wills himself to talk. "Hear what?" He questions, already knowing full well of his wifes intentions but he can't help it being selfish, he wants to hear her say it herself.