2. Jerks and Explanations

Percy

As soon as I heard Nico was awake, I sprinted to the infirmary. I skirted past the Apollo campers, finding my way to Nico and Will.

Will mutely motioned for me to sit down, so I abided, desperate to hear what had happened.

"After walking past Percy and Emma, I sensed the presence of a creature of death. I thought it might be Miss O'Leary so I walked towards it. And there I saw this bratty kid, teasing the hellhound. The hellhound was annoyed, and it was so small. Couldn't have been older than a few months old." Nico's expression morphed into one of anger as he continued. "I told it to go back, and it did. And the dam kid flung a rock at my head, and tackled me to the ground, but I'm pretty sure he hit me with my sword too. Last thing I remember is him claiming to have defeated a whole pack of murderous hellhounds."

Nico rubbed his head delicately, as if he could still feel the pain of his wound. "There was no monster dust, so he probably just made a scene infront of the rest of camp."

Discomfort washed over me in waves. I believed Nico, but from what I had heard, not everyone did.

I spoke softly, looking at the floor, embarrassed by the other campers' easy mistrust in Nico. "Everyone believes him. They think you stood there mocking him while he defeated a whole pack of hellhounds. He said that he tackled you for your sword, and had to knock you out before you killed him."

Will frowned. "Hold up, what? He doesn't laugh or mock anyone, glare maybe. It doesn't even add up. How come you heard this? Why did no one tell me?" Upon looking at our two expectant expressions, he sighed, "Fine. Nico's discharged." I chuckled at his antics, to which both of them looked at me in surprise. I rarely laughed anymore. They shared a smile as Will left, and I got up with Nico.

"Neeks, do you want to bunk at mine for the night? There are quite a few people who want to talk to you. And by that I meant they have a bone to pick with you."

Nico grit his teeth. "No. That's my cabin, and no one should be near it, and I couldn't care less about this pretentious jerk who has swayed the camp and made them believe his lies. It's wrong Perce. Honestly, most of them are too scared of me to actually face me, and even if they are brave enough, I doubt they will be able to do much harm."

"Just, be careful, okay? I don't have a good feeling about this."

"You're just missing your mom's blue cookies, Percy." But concern shone in his eyes.

"I'm not. Ok, maybe I am, but still. Just watch out, Nico. I'm not doubting your abilities to take care of yourself, I'm just... urgh. I can't put it into words. I'm going to try sleeping this feeling off. Good night." I said, jumbling up my words and getting more frustrated and confused with every word I spoke. I watched him offer a small smile, which I reciprocated and then sighed, staring at Nico walking away, knowing full well someone was going to get hurt by the end of this.

Never had I imagined the someone who would be set at the mercy of backlash would be me.

Will

As I left, a sinking feeling settled down into my stomach. This wasn't my fight. I shouldn't meddle in it. I could feel the change in the hearth, and as I walked passed it, I didn't miss the dying flames, the campfire for the first time since I came - was cold. There was no warmth, no hope. It was disappearing. The Hearth was disappearing.

We are all in the same game, just different levels, the same hell, just different devils.