3. Trouble in Paradise

Annabeth

I walked towards the new kid - whose name I found to be Logan - and held my hand out. "My name is-"

"I'm Logan Waters, the best demigod alive. I defeated a whole pack of murderous Hellhounds sent from Tartarus himself, all alone, while holding a sword for the first time. No training, no nothing. Pretty cool if I say so myself." I gasped at his outright confidence, no demigod I met was ever that open about what they had done, and Percy was always overly-modest, I rolled my eyes at him mentally, before smiling and leaning in towards Logan. "I can train you, if you like, Logan." Putting emphasis on his name and sounding breathy.

I liked this boy. He had confidence and skill, easily besting Percy. I was with Percy because I knew he could help me build the world I wanted. But, for the first time, I wanted this boy to tell me what he wanted, and I would do it. He had so much potential. With him, I could do something truly amazing. Maybe I could get on some of the gods' good side and become a lieutenant, and get offered immortality. I could bring back Luke, and Olympus would be all in my name with everything made by me, even all the shrines. I would be praised and everything would be perfect.

'It was the hubris of each generation to think this anew, to think their time was special, that all things would come to an end with them.'

Percy

Nico and I sat in a comfortable silence in the dining pavilion. He was eating only grapes, like he usually did. I absentmindedly noticed that he always sacrificed grapes to Hades to. Maybe they both like grapes. It could run in the family. Genetics and stuff.

I was about to bite into my sandwich when a condescending voice stopped me. "You there! The boy from yesterday. Who's your father? You smell like death trash to me."

Nico glared at the boy, but I could see the pain in his eyes.

He always blamed himself.

It was an almost impossible task, especially while carrying the Athena Parthenos. He had never shadow-travelled a group that big, and hadn't eaten or slept for days. It was him, Reyna and 40 other demigods. They had used his weakness against him. It was a miracle he managed to shadow-travel at all. He was so young. After that he trained himself down to the bones, and if he ever had to shadow travel a group that big again, even without food, sleep, or water for weeks, he would be able to do it. He had given in to the shadows to become stronger. But I turned to this kid, and forced myself not to recoil in disgust.

"Who are you?" I asked, my tone hard and cold.

He scoffed, and rolled his eyes, and I noticed Annabeth do the same from where she stood next to him, causing me to slightly furrow my brows in confusion, before he replied. "My name is Logan Waters, son of The King of the Gods, and the greatest demigod alive. What minor god's fling did you come from? I bet you don't even have powers. Must be some ugly god with an ugly personality, or is that just you seeing that you hang out with that zombie boy?"

To say I was mad was an understatement. This boy didn't even know me. He hadn't ever met me in his life and he was already judging. I could feel myself reach out, feeling the blood in his veins, the water vapour in his breath that went into his lungs. Killing him would be so easy.

Ever since Tartarus I had a split persona. I fell there alone. No one just leaves Tartarus like I did. No one leaves there unscarred.

It was when I was fighting Akhlys. I had almost given up on hope. I was done with it all. I almost gave in, but I remembered my mom. She always said 'Misery loves company'. Just like that, I felt like a cord in me snapped. My last piece of sanity broke. I cackled. No, not laughed. I cackled. I broke into a grin, an evil, twisted, cruel grin, as I turned her poison against her. I started to make her blood freeze, slowly, as she died of her own poison.

That's how I survived. I used it against all monsters, and even the Titans or giants I met. I was passed out for a day once when I did it on a slightly stronger titan, nowhere near the level of Kronos, but still strong, but since then I knew I had to practise, I couldn't risk passing out again. So I honed the ability relentlessly, unlocking more darker and dangerous powers of mine over time. I had almost perfect control over water. Every single form.

But it broke me.

It had twisted my soul. It had made me become a killing machine. I was numb to everything I murdered. I had almost lost the light in me.

I only found the light in me again when I had returned and I found Annabeth and Nico was there. He beat me up, smacked me and cursed at me way too much, but he made me feel as though someone out there cared. Annabeth didn't. She hugged me, but for the rest of the time, she barely even glanced at me. I remember Jason having to take Nico off me, and I laughed for the first time in weeks. I remember the horrified looks I got from using my voice after weeks in Tartarus, but it felt so good to laugh. They made me happy, and I felt safe.

At least, that's how it was before.

I snapped back into reality, where I grabbed Nico's arm while pinching my nose "Dam Nico, that filth smells so strong, let's go."

If only I had known what would happen next.

The worst thing about betrayal is that it always comes from people you love.

Hi guys, tell me how you are finding this so far!!!!! I wanted so bad to make a Dark, Powerful Percy, but I decided I can always make that in a different story. I want to make this enjoyable for you guys, any suggestions or requests, let me know!