0.3

❝There is something in the New York air that makes sleep useless

There is something in the New York air that makes sleep useless.

SIMONE de BEAUVOIR

0.3 : after midnight

OR

season 3, episode 20 : lo-fi (ctd.)

THE ELEVATOR BELL DINGS AND THE FIRST THING FIN SEES WHEN THE DOORS OPEN IS A TALL, ELEGANT WOMAN WITH SHORT BLONDE HAIR STRIDING TOWARD THEM. Why are all the women who work in the FBI so gorgeous?

"Is it just me, or does she look exactly like Haley?" JJ whispers to Penelope, who's standing beside Fin.

"Who's Haley?" Fin asks, frowning. Is this someone she hasn't met yet?

"Hotch's ex-wife," JJ replies softly.

Oh. Oh, my. That's a little serious. Fin wonders if maybe this is the "more to the story" part that she caught onto earlier.

"Kate." Hotch allows himself a smile, something that Fin's noticed is not often.

"Aaron." Kate's voice is clipped, brusque, but she's smiling as she shakes his hand. "How have you been?"

"Well, thank you." Hotch turns, gesturing to each of the others in turn. "This is my team. Kate Joyner, this is David Rossi, Emily Prentiss, Jennifer Jareau, Penelope Garcia, Hazel Finley, Derek Morgan, and Spencer Reid."

"Thanks for being here." Kate smiles at all of them. "Anything you need, just tell me. Please don't stand on protocol."

"What can you tell us about the city's surveillance system?" asks Penelope.

"Um, it's run by the NYPD," Kate replies. "It's still in the infant stages. It's been rather controversial. American privacy laws." She says this with a little contempt, as though she disagrees. Fin thinks privacy's important; it's one of our only rights as people. "Um, but they've had some success."

"And I'll have complete access?" Penelope asks hopefully.

"They're already expecting you." Kate nods. "Shelly?"

Her dark-haired secretary smiles and leads Penelope back toward the elevator.

"I'd like to get a map of the borough," Spencer says, drawing Kate's attention. "I want to do a comprehensive geographical profile of the area in order to ascertain the unsub's mental map before it's clouded by our own linkage blindness."

Two other men have joined them, and the shorter and older of the two rolls his eyes. "I see you brought your own computer."

Kate's facial expression indicates her distaste, but she stays professional and polite. "Detectives Brustin and Cooper. I'll let you do the introductions."