4.4

❝Hands are unbearably beautiful

❝Hands are unbearably beautiful. They hold onto things. They let things go.

MARY RUEFLE

4.4 : funerals and first dates

OR

season 5, episode 10 : the slave of duty

FIN STARES AT HERSELF IN THE MIRROR. She hates funerals. Especially ones for people she cares about. She'd never actually met Haley, since she and Hotch were divorced when Fin joined the BAU, but she's met Jack plenty of times, and Hotch never really stopped loving Haley. Fin knows that deep down. 

She's grieving more for Hotch than for Haley.

As she stares at herself, feeling uncomfortable in the black sheath dress she bought, Spencer walks up behind her, looking very nice in his dress shirt and slacks, and wraps his arms around her waist, tucking his chin into her shoulder. "You look beautiful."

Fin kisses his cheek softly, then turns around and undoes his tie.

"Hey!" Spencer protests.

"Who taught you to tie a tie?" Fin asks, shaking her head. "It's always crooked."

"My mom."

"Well, clearly it didn't stick," Fin says, breaking into a smile for the first time all morning. It's ridiculous, the notion that something didn't stick to Spencer's enormous brain, but it's a smile she could use.

Spencer chuckles and kisses her on the forehead as she knots his tie, making it actually look nice.

After a moment of silence, Fin sighs and rests her head on his chest. "I hate this," she murmurs, wrapping her arms around his waist. "Grieving."

"I know." Spencer pulls her closer, his hands warm on her back.

But it's almost noon and they need to get going. So Fin pulls away, slips on her heels, helps Spencer into his coat, and they drive to the cemetery. It's a small, quiet cemetery, and almost everyone else is there already. Fin hugs JJ and Will; Morgan and Emily; Kevin and Penelope; Rossi and Haley's sister Jessica; and Jack, who doesn't seem to understand what's going on. Fin kisses him on the cheek and hands him the red toy sports car she bought him. He grins from ear to ear, a bright ray of sunshine in all the grim blackness of the morning.

And then there's Hotch. Standing stiff, hands shoved uncharacteristically into his pockets. Fin walks slowly to him, and despite his tense shoulders, he sinks into her arms so familiarly. She tightens her grip on his neck, hoping he knows what she's saying without any words needed. And judging by his arms, unsure at first, but now tight against her back, he does.