2.7

❝What is done in love is done well

VINCENT VAN GOGH

2.7 : birthday flowers

TWENTY-SEVEN. 27. ONE SCORE AND SEVEN. XXVII. FIN ROLLS THE NUMBER OVER AND OVER IN HER HEAD, TESTING IT OUT. It feels strange and not fully real, and yet there's nothing more real now. She's always hated birthdays. They never got gifts when they were younger, never had parties or special traditions. Birthdays were just a quiet reminder that it was just the three of them against the world.

Two of them, now.

Fin and Spencer take separate cars to work–still playing the façade that they're not staying together–and Fin stops on the way to grab coffee for everyone, it being her week to buy coffee once. (Yes, they rotate, and yes, Fin loves this routine.)

Unusually, everyone's in the office by the time Fin pushes open the double doors with her hip, trying her absolute best not to spill either of the drink trays in her hands. Even JJ, Rossi, and Penelope are in the bullpen, chatting with Spencer and Morgan.

Emily looks up from a file on her desk and covers her mouth to keep from laughing. "Need a hand, Fin?"

"I'd love one." Fin bites her lip, watching JJ's ginger peach tea wobble on the edge of the drink carrier.

Emily swoops in and snags the carrier from her left hand, scanning the drinks for the one with her name on it. "You know, it's so nice that you write our names on these–This one's mine?" She gestures to the one in the corner.

Fin squints at the barista's writing and then nods. "Yup. Caramel latte, half sweet, extra shots of espresso. That's you."

"What happened to my cold brew?" Emily fakes a pout–but Fin notices she grabs the cup anyway.

"Em, it's not even fifty degrees outside," Fin replies, setting the other drink carrier down on her desk and shrugging off her coat. "You'd get hypothermia from that." She grabs Morgan's and JJ's drinks and walks over to the huddle around Spencer's desk. "Good morning, my darling caffeine addicts. A plain latte with cream–" She sets this cup in front of Morgan– "and a ginger peach tea with honey." And hands this one to JJ.

"Ooh!" JJ smells the tea through the lid and smiles. "Thanks for surprising me. I love ginger."

"I don't know how you do the no-caffeine thing." Spencer shakes his head, genuinely shocked.

"Pregnancy habit," JJ replies, shrugging. "Coffee made me want to puke, so I turned to tea and I haven't been able to get back into coffee since."

"A very large cappuccino made the 'correct way'," Fin says, grinning as she passes this cup to Rossi, "and a white chocolate mocha with coconut milk for Penny G."