3.3

❝I can't exactly describe how I feel, but it's not quite right

❝I can't exactly describe how I feel, but it's not quite right. And it leaves me cold.

F. SCOTT FITZGERALD

3.3 : a second family

OR

season 5, episode 1 : nameless, faceless

(tw: shooting [obviously], blood, vomiting)

THERE ARE CERTAIN WORDS THAT TAKE TIME TO SINK IN. "I love you." "I'm pregnant." "Will you marry me?" "They're gone." You hear them once, but it takes days, sometimes longer, to fully understand the gravity of the words you've heard.

Fin thought she'd heard every heartbreaking thing there was to hear. "He's not coming back." "We're over." "Say goodbye." "I don't love you."

But then Nick sat beside her in her apartment at four a.m. and told her, "I'm not the man you knew." And it broke her.

He's been taking care of her sister for months, when she couldn't even manage to text. Didn't have the time to call. He moved states away to keep her sister safe.

She went years thinking he was shit and then he shows up in the middle of the night just to prove he's not.

And he's not the one stalking her. She knows now that he's not.

But someone is.

Someone who knows Ollie's birthday and that Fin's favorite flower is–was–orange carnations.

There are only three people in the world who know those things.

Two of them are Nick and Lars.

Which leaves–

No. She's in prison. It's not possible.

But her name has been swirling around in her head ever since that night. They got called into a case in Ontario where the unsub was feeding his victims to pigs, and Fin's gotten a grand total of seven hours of sleep in the past few days. She's exhausted.

So Lars stays with Nick and Fin sleeps.

But not for long.

Her phone rings at six a.m. and it's got to be the most heartbreaking sound she's ever heard. But she pushes her hair out of her face and answers. "Hello?"

"I'm so sorry, Fin, but we've got a case," JJ says.

"This early in the morning?" The plane got in at two a.m. Fin didn't get in bed until three. She might actually cry.