1.9

❝The influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation

The influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation.

JAMES E. FAUST

1.9 : mother's love

OR

season 4, episode 7 : memoriam (ctd.)

HUMAN BEINGS ARE STRANGE. THEY TALK FOREVER ABOUT THINGS THAT DON'T MATTER, BUT WHEN SOMETHING HAPPENS AND THEY SHOULD TALK ABOUT IT, THEY DON'T. They clam up and pretend like everything's fine.

Of course, Fin can't judge, since she practically invented the phrase "I'm fine". But she never pictured Spencer as that type. He hasn't said a word to anyone once they got on the plane, just keeps staring out the window, chin resting on his closed fist.

Morgan thinks he can beat her at Serial Killer Scrabble (horrible idea, really), but neither of them are really paying attention, and Fin can't help but miss Spencer's out-of-nowhere words like "ulama". Morgan just keeps finding new references to sex.

"Derek, no names," she mumbles tiredly, as he attempts to spell 'Tupac' across her 'unto'.

"Tupac's a lifestyle, mama, not just a name."

"Is he a serial killer?"

Morgan rolls his eyes. "Fine. Killjoy." And he rearranges his letters to spell 'pagan'.

Fin's eyes drift up to Spencer again. She remembers how he looked after they went to the hypnotherapist: wild, eyes darting around...

"I need you to leave this location now, Spencer," Dr. Mohikian says, wincing as Spencer grips her wrist tightly. He's asleep-but it's not normal sleep, and he won't wake up.

"Damn it, wake him up!" Rossi drops to his knees beside the couch, his tone slightly panicked. Fin slides out of her own chair and leans close to Spencer, biting her lip nervously. He's shaking and muttering, which means whatever he's seeing now is going to be way worse when he wakes up.

"I'm going to count backward from five," Dr. Mohikian says, her voice clear and strong despite the fact that Spencer has a death grip on her hand. "Five, four, three, two, one...and WAKE!"

Spencer's eyes fly open, darting around wildly, and he's panicking, Fin realizes. Unfamiliar surroundings can send hypnotised patients into a panic attack if they're not grounded... She read that somewhere.

Before Rossi can do anything, she leans forward and grabs Spencer's hand tightly, forcing him to look at her. "Spencer! Spencer, it's okay. It's okay. I'm right here."