4.2

❝In people's lives I want to be that which does not hurt

MARINA TSVETAYEVA

4.2 : closer

THE FLIGHT HOME FROM THE PRISON IS COMPLETELY SILENT. Neither Hotch nor Fin can bring themselves to speak. Fin brought a book to read, but she can't focus on anything else. Hotch is just staring out the window, unseeing, chin resting on his hand and eyes narrowed.

Fin's running over every detail in her mind, how Esther could possibly have contacted Arnold. She must know Foyet, because if she'd used any combination of her known aliases, the CIA would have noticed and Fin would've known. And how could she know Foyet? They were never in prison together, and as far as Fin knows, have been on the run in entirely different areas of the country–until now.

And it begs another question, one which Fin has been rolling over and over in her mind since Nick was killed: How did Esther get out of prison? In order to be paroled, she had to serve at least twenty-five years, and it's only been twelve. A prison escape is nearly improbable... but not impossible.

And somehow, after leaving prison, Esther was able to find out her last name, despite their changing it. Able to find out how they knew Nick. Where he lived. Where she lived.

Where she lives.

Fin inhales sharply. Arnold mentioned her "boyfriend". Foyet only wants Hotch; he's made that very clear. He doesn't care about the rest of them.

Which means that it's exactly what she was afraid of: Esther knows about Spencer.

And she knows Foyet. Which means she knows about Hotch.

Rossi.

JJ.

Penelope.

Morgan.

Emily.

Everyone.

The plane can't land fast enough for Fin. The minute they touch down, she's up, gathering her blazer, her bag, and the book she never touched. She texts Spencer: Just touched down.

He texts back: Already here.

Fin turns to Hotch. "Hotch, I'm really tired. Do you mind if I go straight home? I'll catch up on paperwork tomorrow morning."

Hotch, who was not paying attention at all, nods. "Mmhm. Fine."

So Fin sprints down the steps to the tarmac and collides into Spencer's arms. He stumbles a bit, his arms flying to her waist. "Hey, hey, hey. I've got you."