4.5

❝If pain can purify the heart, mine will be pure

MARY SHELLEY

4.5 : those damn flowers

OR

season 5, episode 12 : the uncanny valley

IT'S FOUR P.M. WHEN THE PLANE TOUCHES DOWN, A FIVE-HOUR FLIGHT FROM ATLANTIC CITY TO QUANTICO, AND DESPITE HER VERY LONG NAP, FIN'S STILL EXHAUSTED. Any time Spencer's in a hostage situation, it sends her pulse into overdrive and her mind into immediate worry. It's going to give her a heart attack someday. And this time, it wasn't just a psychopath; it was a mentally delusional woman willing to do who knows what to the women she paralyzed. Fin feels incredibly sorry for her, abused by her father and practically tortured, but at the same time, she was terrified for Spencer.

Spencer, having promised coffee when they got home, drives them to a park near his apartment, just across the street from a cute coffee stand. It's chilly out, but the late afternoon sunshine is warm, so they take their coffees and sit on a bench in the sun, sipping them and watching the mothers with their kids, the couples walking arm and arm, and the dogs playing in the center of the park.

Fin loops her arm through Spencer's, resting her head on his arm, his coat soft against her cheek. "I'm so glad you're safe."

"You worry too much." Spencer shakes his head in faux exasperation.

"How would you have felt if I was talking down someone like Samantha?"

"Terrified. But that's not the point." Spencer sips at his coffee, but Fin can see the grin on his face.

She laughs and pulls him in for a kiss, so thankful he's okay and here with her. Sometimes she loves her job–and then there are days like today. Hotch has struggled being back on the team, and picking up the slack around him is wearing on everybody. Fin knows it's hard, and she wishes he would've taken more time off, but it's Hotch: time off for him is more stressful than working.

Spencer looks across the park, at a man playing chess by himself at a table. He's focused, intense, and Fin looks up at Spencer. "Do you know him?"

"Yeah, that's Eric," Spencer replies. "He plays here a lot."

"Well, let's go say hi." Fin stands up, pulling Spencer up with her. He's been rid of his cane for a couple weeks now, and it's so good to see him walking normally, hardly limping at all, although Fin does notice he reaches out for nothing beside him a lot, like he expects a cane or a crutch to be there.

They walk across the park together, holding their coffees, and Spencer sidles over to Eric's board, looking down at it, tongue poking between his teeth. "Checkmate in twelve."