3.4

❝I keep remembering--I keep remembering

❝I keep remembering--I keep remembering. My heart has no pity on me.

HENRI BARBUSSE

3.4 : kung pao chicken

(tw: death)

"WELL, HOW THE TABLES HAVE TURNED." Fin's grinning as she holds the car door open for Spencer. "I'm driving you home, from the hospital no less."

"It physically pains me," Spencer says, grimacing as he slides into the passenger seat, maneuvering his new crutches out of the way. "Literally."

"Do you think Hotch is gonna be okay?" Fin shuts his door and walks around to the other side of the car, sliding into the driver's seat and starting the engine.

"I think so." Spencer sighs, running a hand through his hair. "I mean, it's Hotch. He'll be fine."

"I just–" Fin stops herself from saying I know how he feels, and instead says, "I think it's a lot for one person to go through at once, you know?"

"I know." Spencer reaches over the console and rests his hand on her knee. Fin's stomach flutters just a little. "Hey, remember: you're staying with me tonight."

"Oh, shit, that's right." Fin fumbles for her phone and dials Nick's number. "I've got to call Nick and tell him, make sure Lars can stay with him."

It rings once...twice...three...four times, then there's a click and Nick's recorded message says, "Hey. You've reached Nick's phone. I'm probably busy, so just leave me a message and I'll get back to you. Thanks."

Fin waits for the beep and then says, "Hey, Nick, it's Fin. One of my coworkers was injured today, so I'm staying over to help them out tonight, and I was just making sure that Lars can stay with you tonight, too. If not, I can head over and pick her up. Just let me know."

"Everything okay?" Spencer asks, when Fin puts her phone down.

"Yeah, just... His phone went to voicemail and that's not really like him." But, Fin realizes, she doesn't know that much about him now, all things considered. "I think I'll try Lars."

But her phone goes to voicemail, too. "Hey. It's Lars. You know the drill."

"Okay, that's a little weird." Fin sets her phone down, feeling slightly nauseous. "Her phone went to voicemail, too."

"They could just be watching a movie with their phones on vibrate," Spencer suggests, but Fin can't believe him. Not after everything.

After a moment of silence, Spencer tries again. "Let's just go back to my apartment, and if they don't call you in an hour, then we can try Garcia and see if she can track their phones or something."