Chapter 13

Ariana's POV
I sat next to Bella on the couch as Rose and Esme decided to cook for her.

Johnny decided that it was safe to leave me here on my own so he could go look for apartments in Maine near our college so he knew how much we needed to save up.

Bella rested her head against my shoulder and I ran my fingers through her hair as I read an old book of fairy tales to her and the baby.

Edward sat sulking in the corner as he had attempted to read the baby's mind earlier and while he couldn't hear any coherent thoughts he could sense the baby's benevolent intentions as could Jasper. He was then forced to admit that the baby wasn't an intentional threat to Bella's health or safety, they just weren't able to control their strength yet.

Feeding off of blood and talking to them did seem to help though.

Alice was on the floor near us sitting crisscross apple sauce with her eyes closed in a hypnotic state. Jasper and Emmett had gone out to hunt, and Carlisle was in the study writing in his journals.

Ever since Johnny and I had explained how we knew so much about the supernatural he's been obsessively taking notes, doing research, and such.

I stopped reading when Esme and Rose walked out with a tray. I peered up as they sat it down and saw pork loin with 'raspberry' sauce and potatoes and asparagus. My stomach suddenly growled at the sight of the delicious food making the vampire duo chuckle "Don't worry, Ari, we didn't forget about you" Esme said as she sat another tray in front of me. This one had chicken over rice with broccoli.

 This one had chicken over rice with broccoli

I smiled and politely said "Thank you, Mrs. Cullen" she waved me off and rhetorically ask "How many times do I have to tell you to stop calling me 'Mrs. Cullen' and just call me Esme?" I shrugged with a smirk causing Rose and her to huff in amusement.

Bella and I ate our lunches unaware of the events that were about to happen.

~~~timeskip~~~
Johnny arrived just as we finished our lunches and Bella was just starting to settle down for her afternoon nap but we were interrupted by a knock at the door.

Carlisle went to go answer it "Hello, Jacob, how are you?" He starts politely "Listen, just give it to me straight-" he starts, but upon hearing his voice Bella calls out "Jake, is that you?" "She's here?" I can hear him ask "They came home two weeks ago" Carlisle confirms and I hear shuffling then footsteps before Jake appears in the doorway and when Bella finally saw him she offered him a tiny smile "I'm glad you came."

He goes to approach Bella but Rose cuts in "Close enough" she snaps "What's your problem?" Jake demands "Rose, it's okay" Bella soothes she sighs before reluctantly standing aside. Jake continues his approach and says "You look terrible" causing  Bella to respond "Yeah, it's nice to see you, too."

I gave Jake a look, he should've seen her a week ago. She's lost most of her skeletal appearance and regained color in her skin. All thanks to my brilliance! ......And straight up common sense that vampires seem to lose....

"So, are you gonna tell me what's wrong with you?" Jake asks "Rose, Ari, you wanna help me up?" I stood up causing Jake to look at me in confusion as if he just realized that I was here and he couldn't understand why. Rose and I helped Bella stand up revealing her swollen belly that had been covered by blankets.

Jake's eyes zeroed in on it before he looked at Edward and accusingly said "You did this!" "We didn't know it was even possible" Edward defended "What is it?" Jake asked in panic, concern for Bella.

I decided to speak up after making Bella sit down again "Jake, take a seat and we'll explain everything about the past week to you, alright?" Esme perked up and said "I'll make cocoa" which made Bella perk up and ask "Hot chocolate?" Looking like she was about to drool.

I shook my head and chuckled, looks like we're skipping the nap today....

As Esme made the hot chocolate Carlisle explained what we knew "I'm not sure. It's a hybrid of sorts, part Bella and part Edward, we don't know much about it. Ultrasounds and needles won't penetrate the embryonic sac" "And I can't see Bella's future anymore" Alice adds "We've been researching legends, but there isn't much to go on. What we do know is that it's strong, fast-growing, and hungry. Ariana and Johnny have been the greatest help in providing a healthy and safe environment for Bella and the baby. Without them both would be dead by now" Carlisle finishes.

"Why haven't you done anything?" Jake asks before standing up "Take it out of her!" He demands "This is none of your business, dog!" Rose snaps at him causing Bella to scold "Rose!" I immediately added "All this fighting isn't good for Bella, or the baby. You're stressing them both out" "The fetus isn't good for Bella" Edward snaps.

This made me stand up again and say "Say the word, Edward 'Baby'. It's just a little baby. Not only that, it's yours and Bella's baby that you made together out of love, how can you be so callous towards them?" Edward scowled and went to approach me but before he could even get close Johnny reached out and lightning shot out from his finger tips and electrocuted Edward "Don't touch my wife!" He snapped protectively.

I looked at him in shock, admiration, affection, and maybe a hint of arousal "Babe" I whispered making him shoot me a wink before turning to the others "The baby isn't dangerous. They're just not as compatible with Bella's body like most babies are. Give Aria more time to help Bella adjust and before you know it, it'll be like Bella's pregnant with a completely human baby."

Edward scowled and said "Jacob, I need to talk to you" they then walked out and Bella whimpered causing me to kneel down and ask "What's wrong?" She shook her head and said "I don't know. Something just feels wrong when Jake's away" I frowned and nodded before reclaiming my seat beside her. She immediately snuggled into me and I wrapped her in my arms protectively.

I never knew how nice it was having Bella actually care about you, nor how nice it was having a little sister.