IX - Fight

I walked along the beach, the water occasionally running over my feet. I was thinking about what happened before I practically drowned. Mom said that Ao'nung had saved me, brining me to his mothers hut so I could be healed.

I saw Kiri with her head under the water, confused on what she was doing. I quietly walked over to her, tapping her shoulder. She picked her head out of the water, wiping the water out of her eyes.

"Hi Y/n" she spoke. I smiled back at my little sister.

"Whatcha doing Kiri?" I questioned her.

"You're going to think it's stupid." She spoke quietly as her head dropped down. I clicked my tongue.

"No I won't. I promise. Plus, something my little sister does could never be stupid to me Kiri." I said as I sat on my knees next to her. She smiled at me again before speaking.

"I was watching the grains of sand move with the waves. It's very interesting. Each grain of sand looks different from the other." Kiri spoke, her eyes showing just how connected she was to Eywa.

"Kiri that's not weird, it's beautiful. You have a connection with Eywa that I wish I had. Can I join you?" I asked my little sister. Her smile brightened before she nodded her head. She dipped her head back into the water. I followed shortly after her, taking a deep breath.

It was totally peaceful laying next to Kiri in the water until a shadow was casted onto the sand. Muffled voices could be heard from above us, making me pull my head out of the water.

"Huh? What did you say?" Kiri asked Ao'nung. The boy smirked at us. His friend quickly spoke up.

"He asked if you were a freak." The boy spoke. I glanced at him. He looked like Rotxo, but just the homeless version. As Dad would say.

"Just leave us alone." I spoke. Ao'nung smirked at me as Kiri and I walked past. His hand gripped onto my tail, pulling me back. I shouted out in pain, hearing someone shout.

"Hey fish lips!" Lo'ak shouted at Ao'nung and his friends. They laughed at my little brother.

"Look, another freak." One of Ao'nung's friends laughed. I lowered my ears at the boys words.

"Leave her alone." Lo'ak growled at the four boys. Lo'ak signaled for Kiri and I to walk away. Kiri did. Standing on a sand bank. I stood right next to Lo'ak, my feet planted. Ao'nung walked up to us, trying to grab my hand. I tried to pull it away but he was too fast.

"I mean look at it. Doesn't it make you ashamed?" Ao'nung spoke as he looked from my hand to my face. His words hit me like a train. It was true, my extra finger did make my feel ashamed. Neteyam didn't have a fifth finger, so why did I? I was always the one to be bullied back on the forest. Neteyam could never stand up for me because they only bullied me when he wasn't around.

Tears welled up in my eyes, but I didn't let them fall. I couldn't. I wouldn't let the boys know that they had hit a weak point. I mustered the courage to glance up, my amber eyes meeting Ao'nung's light blue ones. I saw his gaze soften the tiniest bit when he notes the fading tears, but he quickly caught himself.

"Hey! Don't touch her." Neteyam spoke as he quickly walked up to the group, his hair swinging back and forth as he did so. I ripped my hand out out Ao'nung's grip once my twin stood next to me, pushing me out of the way.

"Don't you dare touch her." He snarled as he pointed a finger at Ao'nung. "And you heard what they said, leave them alone." Neteyam added.

"Ah...big brother coming..." One of the boys said in a mocking tone, but was cut off by Ao'nung putting his arm out infront of him. Neteyam put his finger Ao'nung's chest and poked him.