05

INT. LYDIA'S CAR

"Hoosiers is not only the best basketball movie ever. It is the best sports movie ever made."

"No," Lydia deadpanned.

"It's got Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper."

"No."

"Lydia, I swear to God you're gonna like it."

"No."

"I am not watching The Notebook again."

INT. VIDEO RENTAL STORE

"Can somebody help me find The Notebook?" Jackson asked. "Hello? Is anybody working here? You gotta be kidding me."

Nora walked around a row of videos. She was looking for Casablanca, as she was in the mood for a classic movie. Since she didn't expect to be in the store for long, she'd left her sleeping son in the car.

Nora walked between the shelves of movies and noticed spots of blood. She walked around cautiously and noticed Jackson.

The two came upon the clerk lying on the ground, dead, covered in blood.

Nora's eyes widened and she felt a faint vibration and instantly became more on guard.

Jackson backed into a ladder, which hit something, and the lights shut off.

Quiet growls sounded throughout the silent store. Jackson's eyes widened as he saw a beastly figure with glowing red eyes.

Jackson grabbed Nora's arm and yanked her into an aisle of movies.

The shelves began falling and one of the shelves fell onto Nora and a sharp end cut her leg, making a long, reasonably deep incision.

Jackson frowned, saw blood, and whispered, "Are you okay?"

Nora didn't answer and pulled off her overshirt. She tied it around her leg as a makeshift tourniquet.

Jackson's lower half was trapped. He motioned for Nora to get behind him and she did so, spreading the crimson liquid across the floor.

The Alpha appeared and growled at them. It placed a claw on the back of Jackson's neck and Jackson began breathing heavily. The Alpha ran off through a window, shattering the glass.

Nora swallowed heavily, glancing at her leg, trying not to pass out. She tried focusing on things that made her happy, which was more difficult than she thought, considering the pain.

Sirens blared and grew louder and louder. Officers holding guns appeared and began lifting the shelves. A deputy pulled Nora out and she let out a quiet groan of pain.

She was placed on a gurney in an ambulance.

Derek ran up to her. What happened?

I think I saw the Alpha. It's not you, right?

No, it's not. How badly did you get hurt?

I'll live. Wait, how'd you know?

I felt it. Nora, let me see.

I have a reasonably deep wound in my leg, but I'll be okay. Mateo is in my car. Can you take care of him for the time being? Her eyes began closing.

Anything. Nora, you gotta stay awake.

I'm so tired.

I know, but you need to stay awake.

Derek took her hand. Black veins trailed up his arms as he took some of her pain. Nora let out a soft sigh as her eyes closed. Derek took her pulse, letting out a sigh when he found one.