23

"Right, is everything ready?"

"Yes miss, everything is as you wished"

"These are important guests of mine. Please double check everything. I don't want anything to go wrong"

Caitlin had been up since early morning, making sure everything was perfect. She had been very particular about how she wanted everything don

"Everything is fine miss. You need to relax"

"This is a big thing for me. It's the first time they are visiting me since I took the throne"

"Well everything is as you wanted"

Caitlin looked out of the window as the horn sounded

"They are here. Everyone take your positions"

Caitlin grabbed her dress and bowed as her visitors entered the palace. All the servants followed her example. The king went up to her

"Caitlin"

"Your highness"

"No need for formality", he said smiling

Caitlin threw herself into his arms, "how are you uncle?"

Caitlin got down and bowed to Ronnie, "your grace"

"Stop it. How long have we known each other?"

Caitlin smiled and stepped forward and hugged him. Caitlin turned to her servants, "please take everyone's luggage and put them in their room. After that please serve everyone refreshments and snacks. Our guests must be hungry"

She turned to her guess 

"You must be exhausted. Please feel free to freshen up, and take a small nap if you'd like"

Caitlin walked into the study with her uncle and Ronnie

"Caitlin is something wrong? I got the feeling that you wanted to ask for my help"

"Please take a seat"

Caitlin sighed 

"Uncle I don't know what to do"

"What's the matter Caitlin? Has someone said or done something to upset you?"

"No, no. It's not like that. I'm fine"

"Then what's the matter?"

"This. Everything in here. The whole royalty thing"

"Meaning?"

"You know me. I didn't like this when I was a normal person person and I don't like it now. I've always said that I want to change things for the better. These royals they have no idea what life is like. They think because they have a cushy life everyone does. But they don't understand that not everyone has money, let alone that money that they are used to. Some people are just barely surviving. But they have no idea what the outside world is like. Because they are used to the finer things in life, they think that everyone has it easy"

"That's true"

"I want to change things uncle. Because my dad kept me away from this as a young child, I know what it's like. Thankfully we never had to scrimp and save, but I know others did. Plus these people are so in denial. Most of them refuse to change with the times, and are still living in the past"

"A thousand apologise my lady, but dinner is served"

"We'll continue this after dinner"

"I am sorry Caitlin but I am rather tired after my journey and dinner. I will take my leave. We will discuss this matter further tomorrow"

Caitlin turned to go, when Ronnie called out to her

"Come sit with me. Am I that bad company?"

"No. Please don't embarrass me", said Caitlin smiling 

"Hey it's nice to see that. You should do it more often"

"What?"

"Smile"

"Shut up. It's nothing special. Plus when your a ruler like us, you don't have much chance to smile. You have to be fair to everyone"

"Well I've got a problem. Maybe you can help me"

"I doubt it, but go on"

"My dad thinks that I've come of age now and need a nice girl standing by my side"

"I think it's your life Ronnie. Only you can decide if your ready for that kind of commitment"

"I feel ready, but I don't know if she wants to be part of my crazy world"

"Don't be stupid Ronnie. Any girl will be lucky to be your life partner"

"Will you?"

Caitlin was shocked into silence 

"Where has this come from? Ronnie, your my childhood friend. I can trust you with everything that I have"

"Just not your heart?"

"Ronnie, I've never thought of you like that"

"Well say yes, and start thinking of me like that"

"I can't. I wish that I could, because your everything that a girl wants in her life partner"

"But you can't, because your heart lays with someone else"

"I don't know. It's complicated"

"Whose the lucky person?"

"Ronnie please stop. I don't want to fall out with you over this, but I've got more important things to worry about. This is my least concern"

"But it's like my dad said. You need someone to stand with you, to shoulder the burden"

"It's not a burden for me, and I'm quite happy to be on my own"

"Stop being stubborn Caitlin. Everyone needs someone no matter what you say. Go and get him before you realise that you have made a mistake and shouldn't have let him go"

Duff, duff, duff. Will she listen? As always, feedback appreciated