chapter ¹⁹

"Sure. But is that okay with you?"

You were taken aback by just how nonchalantly he responded. I should have expected this.

"What do you mean?"

He walked near you, slightly grazing your shoulder, and leaned onto the guild's concrete wall.

"Are you okay with it just being the two of us?"

What?

"Huh?  Oh!  Actually, it-"

"So Y/N, did the old man say yes or—oops?"  Laxus walked in and looked at the two of you, holding onto a bag. "Were you not done?" 

"No, we're good! He said yes. He just thought we were going alone." You replied swiftly.

"Ah," he said, passing his bag to you, making sure you were holding onto it safely, "Well, sorry to interfere in whatever you guys' date plan was."

You facepalmed and looked at Gildarts who quickly countered defensively.

"It… It wasn't like that. Is the rest of your team coming too?"

Laxus smirked, noticing your reaction, and opened the bag in order to get the request out. "No. Unless Freed joins, it'll just be the three of us."

Once he had gotten it out, he zipped it back up and gave Gildarts the pamphlet.

"Speaking of Freed, I'll go check on him. Fill him in on the request, Y/N, 'kay?"

About an hour from Magnolia, a village had been invaded by gremlins. Unbeknownst to those who live there, the more people pay attention to them, the more powerful they grow in size and strength.

It was a rather simple request, but it hadn't been taken, as it did take a long time to get rid of a hoard of gremlins.

Were Gildarts and Laxus way too overqualified for this job? Yes, absolutely. But a gig was a gig.

"It should be pretty simple. We wanted— well, I wanted to take it slow since you got injured." You said, struggling to put the pamphlet back in its place.

Why was Laxus' bag always so full? 

Gildarts grinned at you and helped you place it. "Well, thanks for the concern, Y/N, but," finally able to get it in, he then took the bag from your shoulders, "You should know by now that I'm pretty durable." 

"You're right." You smiled, taking back the bag, "Doesn't mean we can't take the simple route sometimes, though."

Laxus exited the guild alone, grumbling to himself, and took his bag from you."It's just us three. If you guys are cool with that, we can just leave now."

You both gave him an agreeing nod and started to walk towards your destination.

°

The road to the village was peaceful. Since you just needed to walk in order to get there, the lightning mage didn't have to deal with motion sickness. That meant a better time for him, but also for you two, who didn't have to deal with his understandable sour mood.

Luckily, the weather was close to perfect.

Gildarts watched from afar as you and Laxus spoke to each other. You guys looked so close. So friendly. Of course, he knew of the bond you two had established over the years, so he couldn't feel prouder to see how far you'd come.

He was surprised when he found out that the one you had befriended first was the dragon slayer, as he wasn't exactly known to be friendly. But it made sense that you felt comfortable with him. You two were the closest in age and were considerably more reserved than the others.