chapter ⁶

He stayed so close to you. So close, you could feel his heartbeat. You could tell he wasn't as worried as you were, due to the fact that he had seen and lived worst during his S-class quests. You, on the other hand, were a little bit worried but kept a straight face.

But unfortunately, you had to admit enclosed spaces were not your forte. So, you did start panicking even more.

He ended up concluding that the only possible way to get out of that cell was by using magic.

"Y/N, stay down for a minute. I'm going to attempting to crush the room. Hopefully it'll work."

You were about to say something but shut your mouth. You sat down next to his legs and waited but did look up to watch him. You'd always find his magic magnificent.

You were kind of sad your magic was a more mental thing since you couldn't really assist him in times like this. But for him to be able to crush everything in a beautiful symmetrical way was always intriguing to you.

Unlike his, your magic wasn't exactly the aesthetic kind so it was always nice to admire his from up close. Although it took him several hits until a decent hole was made, he still persevered and did not give up making it bigger.

"I think it's big enough for us to get out. Ladies first !" He said happily.

You looked at him at him with a shy smile.

"Such a gentleman... Thanks by the way. That was pretty cool back there." you said thankful for him being there.

He smiled at you and continued walking. "Thanks for the compliment."

It was a pretty long walk. Everything was looped and repeated. The maze was filled with emptiness. If you lent your ear, you could hear precocious screams from afar. You both weren't saying anything so you took it upon yourself to start a conversation.

"You still haven't told me... How was your job like ?" you asked concerned. You knew that that it didn't go so well, remembering the scar that you had seen the night before.

"It was okay. Same old, same old."

His lack of response worried you. He would usually rant about how being an S-class mage was the most demanding thing he had to be and how time consuming it was.

He looked at you for a moment and then turned away.

"Don't be worried, kid. A little job like this is nothing to faze me down. You on the other hand..."

You froze.

Fighting with your magic was never something simple. Since you mainly fought with others as a companion, you had lost a lot of faith in it as a standalone magic.

Plus it did require a lot of mental training which wasn't easy in the least.

"Have you even taken jobs ever since I left ?" he continued.

"Not by myself, no. But I've been assisting a lot of other mages. For example, a month ago, I fought alongside Sabertooth's Sting."

"You've got to start taking jobs by yourself, Y/N." He told you seriously.

"I know... I will." You looked down. You continued walking

°

In front of you was something eye catching.

"Oh look !" You exclaimed when noticing signs on the wall nearby.

Leaves from various trees were connected by a cord to numbers. In front of them was situated a door with yet another padlock.