chapter ⁹

"So... What you mean to tell me is that you weren't the one who confessed ?"

"No, Gray. It wasn't me. I know it's a bit confusing but you've got to believe me." You said while sighing.

You had just gotten back from the S-class mage's house when Gray stopped you in the street. You then had to explain to him what you and Juvia were plotting.

"Sorry about that... You know Juvia and her crazy ideas." You laughed nervously.

He had a confusing look on his face and groaned. "You aren't any better Y/N... You agreed to it, you idiot."

You looked down to your feet, fidgeting slightly. "Sorry, Gray. I'll make it up to you somehow."

He grinned up at the proposition. "Oh, you better. I'll be keeping my eye on you."

Just as he was about to walk off, you grabbed onto his arm. "Gray. Do you think I should give up on him ?"

He looked at you gently. "I don't know. I don't think I should be the one to tell you what you can or can't do. You know your limits, after all."

"Thanks, I guess..." you uttered, followed with a sigh.

When you finally let go of him, he walked past you a few meters before slightly turning his head.

"I'll be there for you if things don't work out. So, don't worry too much about it."

Your eyes suddenly widened and you crossed your arms looking downwards. When he saw your lack of response, he scoffed and grinned at you. Waving slowly, he walked further away not turning back.

"Thanks Gray !" You shouted at him, smiling.

Somehow hearing him say this made you feel better. You looked at him bashfully and started walking back to your apartment.

°

You had bought it earlier this year. It was small and a little rusty at first but you managed to make it work thanks to the makeover you gave it.

You had previously lived in Fairy hills with the other girls but had decided that you needed your own space. Though living alone made you realized that you did like having company around sometimes. So you'd occasionally go back and have sleepovers with them.

As you approached your home, you could hear wailing, so you quickly ran to see what was going on.

Only to find Juvia laying down on the ground next to your apartment complex wailing.

"Oh my god... Juvia, are you okay ?" You told her grinning. You were trying really hard not to burst out laughing.

You coughed slightly, "Come on, tell big sister Y/N, what happened !"

She pulled you down next to her, while hugging and sniffled.

"H-How ? He believed me but.. Why was he okay with it ? Why didn't he mind ? It's not fair !"

"I-I'm so sorry Juvia. I mean if it makes you feel better you've still got time !"

She bawled even harder.

"I mean... You're right but, he didn't even mention Juvia's name !"

She took a deep breath. "Like 'Oi, you know I only care for Juvia.' Not even that ! But you know what, no ! I won't give up !"

At this point, you weren't laughing anymore. You couldn't lie. She was pretty remarkable. Hearing her speech made you want to work even harder too.