Chapter XIII: A Question in the Morale of the Present

The past is behind you, learn from it. The future is ahead, prepare for it. The present is here, live it.

-Thomas S. Monson.

⇀↼⛊⛉⛋⛉⛊⇀↼

When Izuku started training with his instructors and mentors. Something nagged him.

He didn't know. But he felt something was off after he did one of the sub-singularities. The most recent one was Gudaguda Honnouji where he experienced how to take a life. And that feeling was horrible regardless if the enemy was about to kill him or not.

And he had been the one to deal the final blow to that strange being that everyone deemed to label as Nobu Chibi. Still, he has seen Mash and Ritsuka fight more than just these creatures. They fought people. Living and once-breathing people before they were on the ground, not moving anymore.

He had still taken a life. Maybe not a sapient, sentient life, but a life all the same.

He hadn't had the time to process what he did. Until the memories came flooding in after they dealt with the sub-singularity. The horror and the wave of dizziness sank in him where he had placed a hand over his mouth, eyes wide with dawning horror. Even when they paused for a moment of rest. Izuku asked Demon Archer and Sakura Saber about taking lives so easily. They took many lives as well. Internally, he knew it wasn't without cause, but the deed was still done. It still felt wrong.

Their responses were somewhat justified in a way where he understands how the world is not black and white in morals. And he had to get used to this if he was pursuing his path. It wasn't a fairytale where the villain gets redeemed and put in jail.

People are killed.

"Izuku, are you alright?" He heard a voice behind him, ask, as they came up on his other side, grasping his other shoulder as Dr. Romani did the other. Izuku didn't say anything before shutting his eyes tight and started inhaling and exhaling through his nose. Counting back to ten from one.

He repeated the same words over and over. Keep it together. Don't freak out. This is something you just have to get used to. Things have only just begun, and they're only going to get harder. Before he relaxed his body, opening his eyes to look at Dr. Romani and Da Vinci-chan looked at him in concern.

"I... I am alright..." As they both frowned at his words. Again, he knew that he was lying. They knew too. But he didn't want to talk about it. "I just... shaken up from witnessing death for the first time."

He wasn't lying about that part but everyone seems to be used to seeing death. He thought that they must have gone through it without looking back in regret. It is so... difficult for him to accept that killing was the only way to save the world. However, the other Heroic Spirits think otherwise.

Saying that there are worse things than death. Mainly, Alter Artoria and Red Archer argued in contrast to giving him trauma to get the experience of what it's like out there to fight in the war while the latter disagreed with her. As Alter Artoria points out, everyone knows what's going on out there, waiting for them. And the other singularities will be the starting point of something far worse. As she said that he needs to be prepared now or never.

No one argued against her after that. That is why Izuku began taking sub-singularities before the big singularity. Although, Alter Saber was a strict mentor. She was very honest in her duty of training, the day when he was introduced to her.

As he first met the King of Knights, Artoria, the Alter Ego of the original version. The accurate version of human history as he learned that Artoria pretended to be a man as she uses a persona as King Arthur. When she ruled Britain. Izuku was a bit nervous when it came to meeting people. Especially people with blonde hair or red eyes which he didn't understand his reactions to why he felt that way.