ii . soccer

"You seem to care more about your nephews soccer tournament than you care about your daughters anything," Tiana said, throwing a jacket on as her mother ushered her out of the door. They were going to watch her cousin, David, play soccer.

"It's not about the soccer. We haven't seen your Aunt Tilly in months," her dad said.

"I see her in school every morning. You would too if you cared about me."

"For the last time, you walk to school because I care about you. The more I make you walk to places, the quicker you'll wanna get your license. Your driver's license is the first step to becoming an independent adult."

"I'm fourteen. I'm not getting my license for over two years. It wouldn't kill you to give me a ride."

"I don't know why you're being a bitch about it."

"You shouldn't call women bitches."

"Get in the car, bitch."

"See, now you're dads driving you somewhere," Tiana's mom chimed in.

"Somewhere I don't wanna be."

"At least act excited."

"Woo, go soccer! Happy?"

David was on the bench the whole time, but Tiana's aunt had plenty of stories to tell to keep her parents entertained

David was on the bench the whole time, but Tiana's aunt had plenty of stories to tell to keep her parents entertained. She managed to slip away from the field, sitting down against a tree.

When the match was presumably over, she felt some sit next to her. "How come you're here?" He asked. It was Luke Dunphy. He seemed to have taken a sudden interest in Tiana recently. He'd been speaking to her in class and in the hallways a lot. She wasn't sure whether to consider him her friend or not.

"Watching my cousin, my parents practically dragged me here," Tiana replied.

"Your cousin? I thought your only cousin was, like, thirty years old."

"What? Who told you that?"

"You. When we had to write about our heroes, you said your hero was your cousin, because he was super rich, and living in Australia and stuff."

He remembered that? "Oh. I lied."

"Why?"

"Why does it matter?"

"Sorry, it doesn't. I shouldn't pry. I'll see you in school."

Luke got up and began to walk away, when Tiana suddenly regretted her bluntness. "Wait, Luke. I'm sorry." Luke sat back down. "I lied because there aren't any heroes in my family. And I'm not saying that because they're boring or anything, they just suck. I guess my sister's smart, and she's not as mean as the rest of them, but she's not my hero, she's more like my enemy. She's super smart, so my parents focus way more on her than me. As long as she succeeds, I can do what I want. It's good sometimes, but they just don't care what I do, as long as they don't get in trouble for it. Sorry, I don't know why Im venting."

"It's fine. I mean, you've gotta talk about it sometimes, right? That's how you stop things from affecting you as much."

"Thanks, Luke."

"So, which ones your cousin?"

"David. He's an ass."

"You're telling me."

As if he'd been summoned, David came running over to Luke and Tiana. "Why are you sitting with this dork?" He asked, "Come on, we're going back to your place."

Luke rolled his eyes at David, but held his tongue. "I'll see you in school, Luke," Tiana said, "Thanks for listening to me."

"You're welcome. Bye."

As David and Tiana walked away, Luke walked in the opposite direction. "Listening to what?" David asked.

"It's none of your business," Tiana said.

"Is he your boyfriend now? Take it from me, that guys a dork. I don't wanna sound too nice, but you could be better than-"

"He's not my boyfriend, and he's nice. You don't have to be such a jerk all the time."

"I'm not a jerk, I'm just honest. Like, that shirt makes you look stupid."

"Your face makes you look stupid."

The rest of the day was spent with David harassing Tiana, and their parents getting too shit faced to care, until a cab formally came to pick up David and his mom. She felt bad for that cab driver.