ix . outburst

"Will you be my girlfriend?" Alan asked. It was such a nice gesture. They'd been on a few dates, and there was nothing stopping her from saying yes. Still, she made the decision she didn't think she'd be making.

"No," she said.

"What? Tiana, we-"

"No. You should probably go, Alan. My parents are gonna be home soon."

No they weren't. Her parents were on vacation, they weren't gonna be home for another week.

"Fine. I'm sorry for wasting my time."

With that, Alan left.

Why had she said no? He liked her, and he was good to her, and she liked him, didn't she? Did she like him? If she didn't, why had she gone on so many dates with him? Had she been leading him on this whole time?

She hadn't spoken to anyway since it happened, which was only two days, but that was a long time for Tiana to not talk to anyone, especially Luke or Manny. So, she did the only thing she could think of doing: walk to Luke's house.

It wasn't that long of a walk, and when she got there she could feel tears welling in her eyes. Luckily, it was Luke who answered the door.

"Tiana? What's wrong? Are you crying?" He asked.

"Mhm," Tiana said, "Alan asked me to be his girlfriend the other day, and I said jo. I don't know why. We've been dating for a while, and I really did like him, I think. I don't know what it is about the thought of making things official, but- I don't know."

"Maybe you're not meant to be together."

"Are you serious? He was the nicest guy in the world!"

"He kissed another girl on your first date."

"She kissed him. I don't know what I'm doing Luke. Why would I reject a guy like him?"

"Because there's someone else."

"What?"

"Think about it. There's something laying on your conscience that doesn't want you getting into a relationship, at least not with Alan."

"When did you get so wise?"

"Come on, sit down, we'll talk."

Tiana walked in and went into the living room, sitting down on the couch. Luke sat next to her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and she rested her head on his.

"Maybe something is laying on my conscience. I mean, him and Lexi did kiss, even if she was the one who initiated it. Plus, my parents would kill me and my boyfriend if they found out I had one. It can't be someone else, though. I don't like anyone else."

Luke felt something in his chest at that last sentence. He didn't know why. He was hoping she'd like someone else. It would help her get over Alan.

She looked up at him, right into his eyes. He liked that about her, the fact that she was so good at eye contact. He could still see tears slightly welled up in her eyes, but he knew she was too proud to let them fall.

He moved his eyes away from hers and scanned the rest of her face. Her lips were always so shiny, coated in her pink lip gloss. They were the perfect shape, too.

He'd been staring at her lips for too long, now, but, luckily, the two were distracted by the door opening, and Haley walking in. Haley looked at the two, Luke's arm wrapped around Tiana's shoulder, their faces pretty close together. They could both tell what she was thinking.

"It's not like that," they said in sync.

"I'll believe you for now," Haley said, "What's up with you, Tia? Have you been crying?"

"Alan asked me to be his girlfriend, but I said no, and I don't know why because I really like him."

"Alan the really sweet one who took you for ice cream that one time?"

"Mhm."

"How does she know about Alan?" Luke asked.

"You think you're the only Dunphy I talk to? I'm a family friend, Luke."

"Okay, Haley, did you also know Alan kissed another girl on their first date?"

"Don't," Haley said, "That story's already been explained to me."

Luke rolled his eyes. "Crazy story."

"You said you believed him at the spring fling," Tiana said.

"Yeah, because you really liked him and I didn't want us to argue. But, now that you guys don't talk, I think it's time I express my true feelings. That guy's a douche. He totally gaslit you with the whole Lexi thing just so he could feel you up at the Spring Fling."

"His hands went no lower than my waist."

"Please, I saw the way he was holding onto your hips for dear life, he may as well have just grabbed your ass."

"Inappropriate," Phil's voice sounded from the hallway. Everyone looked behind them to see him walking up the stairs as he tripped on one, "Gotta fix that step."

"Anyway. You guys went on a ton of dates, but, other than that ice cream one which you suggested, when did you ever do something you liked? That Indian place he took you that you told him you loved? You hated that place, you got food poisoning! You don't even like Indian food. That green dress you wore all the time because he liked it? You hate green! And that mint choc chip ice cream you got because he suggested it? You hate mint, your favourite flavour is salted caramel and that ruined the only date that was set up by you! Its so obvious why you rejected him, yet you're sat here moping about it as if you've lost something good. Oh my god, women are so frustrating!" Luke walked out of the living room and started heading upstairs. "Dad! Fix that step!"

"That was quite the outburst," Haley said.

"I guess it opened my eyes a bit, though," Tiana said. "I'm gonna go. I don't know when Luke's gonna talk to me, so I'll see you next time Manny invites me to your grandpas place."

"Bye, Tia!"

"Bye!"

Haley headed upstairs, knocking on Luke's door. "What?" He said grumpily from the other side.

Haley opened the door, slightly stepping into Luke's room. He was lying on his bed, a pillow in his arms. "Can I come in?" She asked.

"You're already in."

Haley shut the door behind her and sat on Luke's bed. Luke sat up next to her.

"What the hell was that?" Haley asked.

"It just frustrates me that she's sulking over a guy that treated her like shit. Someone else could treat her way better."

"Anyone in particular."

"I know what you're getting at, Haley. It's not like that. I don't wanna treat her better, but I want someone else to. She deserves it. She's nice, and smart, and pretty. She deserves someone who listens to her."

"Like someone who knows what type of food she likes and dislikes? Someone who she doesn't have to try so hard for?"

"Exactly."

"Someone who knows her favourite ice cream colour and lets he know when he doesn't like what she's doing? Someone who knows that she hates h the colour green and Indian food?"

"Haley, stop! I don't like Tia, okay? Leave it alone. She's my best friend. That's why I'm so mad. That's why I hate Alan so much."

"Whatever you say, Luke."