xxxi . the necklace

tw this chapter contains themes of abuse

"You know, my mom was a country girl," Tiana said, walking into Mitch and Cam's 'Thanksgiving Jamboree'.

"You should invite her to mosey on down," Mitchell said, making Tiana cringe at his use of language.

"First of all, she's in New York. Second of all, ew."

The truth was that Tiana's mom actually wasn't in New York. Both of her parents had came over to visit Amy for Thanksgiving, and the rest of the week. Tiana had decided to stay in her own house and deal with her parents, but she wasn't having her Thanksgiving ruined, so she of course spent it with Luke's family.

She still hadn't told Luke they were back. He'd get worried. There wasn't anything to worry about, though, they surely wouldn't do anything with Amy around. They both seemed to be in a good mood, anyway. Maybe New York was changing them.

"Hey," Luke said, wrapping his arms around Tiana's shoulders, "I haven't seen you all day."

"That's because I've only been here five minutes," Tiana said, "Happy Thanksgiving."

"Oh, so you're late?" Luke said, pretending to be mad, but Tiana could see right through his jokes.

"Am I ever on time?"

"Mr Student Council President," Manny said, approaching the two, "Have you had a chance to look at my proposal updating the honor code to address cyber bullying?"

"One second," Luke said, typing something out on his phone.

Manny's phone chimed, and he pulled it out of his pocket. "Why would you call me that?!"

Luke and Tiana walked away and back into the living room, laughing. They sat down on one of the hay bales that Cameron had set out, which were less that comfortable, but also the only available seats.

"Does that make me the first lady of high school?" Tiana asked.

"You should put that on your college applications," Luke said.

Alex stared at the two from across the room, seeming disappointed in them as she made herself a plate of food.

"Okay, city slickers," Cam said, "Guess who has a genuine petting zoo in the backyard?"

Everyone headed outside, and Tiana went straight towards the alpaca.

"You know those spit on you, right?" Manny said. He was obviously terrified of the animals.

"Wouldn't be the first time I've been spat on," Tiana replied, stroking the alpacas head.

"What?"

"Lots of weirdos before Luke."

As Cam prepared to deep fry the turkey, Tiana and Joe played with the goat. Luke looked over at the two. She was so good with him. She always had been. And with Lily, too.