vi . birthday

And here it was. The dreaded, present-less birthday. Every child's nightmare. Although Tiana wasn't really a child anymore, she was still majorly pissed about her lack of presents and celebration. The only family she received a happy birthday text from was Amy.

She woke up later than usual that morning, at twelve o'clock. She got ready, making more of an effort than usual, if that was even possible, and Luke was at her house just as she finished getting ready.

"I don't mean this in a rude way, but didn't you say your dad would pick me up?" Tiana asked, when she answered the door to Luke, who'd walked all the way to her house.

"He's busy walking to Canada," Luke said, causing bewilderment to show on Tiana's features, "I'll explain on the way."

Luke explained how his dad had vowed to walk the distance on his machine from the Dunphy house to Canada in one year, and today was his last day.

"God, why would he do that to himself?" Tiana asked.

"It's us Dunphy men. We're motivated."

"And insane."

"We should walk a little faster. If we get home in time, you might catch Haley and Alex dressed up as Mrs Claus and an elf."

"The things we do for money these days."

"Right?"

When they got home, Luke and Tiana decided to check how Phil was doing on his machine

When they got home, Luke and Tiana decided to check how Phil was doing on his machine. When they walked into the bedroom, he was covered in sweat.

"Tiana, happy birthday, kid! The big one five. Any gifts?" Phil asked.

"Yeah, tons," Tiana lied. Luke gave her a sympathetic look, but she shook her head at him, assuring him that she was okay.

"Dad, I was with you on the tightrope. I was your wingman in the wing-eating competition. But I'm not feeling this one," Luke said, sitting down on the chest at the end of his parents bed. Tiana followed suit, "You're missing Christmas Eve."

"There's something more important than Christmas, son. Pride," Phil said, "If I don't make it to Canada, your mom wins and it's baby ends up in the garage first thing in the morning."

"Our garage. Then you're right, you gotta finish! You'll never use this thing in the garage! It's too crafty!"

"That's why I'm going to Canada, buddy, to avoid the draft."

Tiana was confused at Luke's sudden change of heart towards his father's mission. "I think you'll get more of a draft in Canada," she said, while shooting Luke a look. He walked out, motioning with his hand for her to follow.

The two walked to the garage, where Luke pulled a curtain, reaching a bunch of recycling he hadn't taken to the curb.

"God, how many weeks did you miss?" Tiana asked.