xx . mixed signals

It was a Friday off school, so Claire and Phil had decided to take everyone to go to their favourite pancake place. It was meant to be a relaxing day, but that of course couldn't happen with the Dunphy's.

Haley and Alex were bickering, Phil was playing loud music, Claire was talking to Mitchell on the phone, and Manny was ranting to Luke and Tiana about something, but Luke wasn't listening because he had his headphones on.

Tiana had also began to lose interest in what Manny was blabbing about, and was about to say something, when Phil almost drove right into a tuck. He spun the car around, causing everyone to scream and Tiana to fall onto Manny.

"Why are we stopping?" Luke asked, before looking down at the two beside him.

"Oh my God," Manny said, looking down at Tiana, "Are you okay?"

Tiana slowly moved off of Manny, shaking. "As okay that someone who just died can be," she said.

Manny, Alex and Haley decided to walk home. Tiana considered it, but she'd rather not go home right now.

Phil dropped Luke and Tiana off at home, before him and Claire left to do their own stuff.

"I just missed my own near-miss with death," Luke said.

"Be thankful," Tiana said, "I think I'm still shaking."

The two sat down on the couch, and Tiana pulled out her phone, presumably texting her other friends about what had just happened.

"So... Manny?"

"What about him?"

"Just the way you guys held onto each other after the thing."

"So?"

"Looked a little couple-y."

"Oh, please. I fell onto Manny. Obviously I'd hold onto something if I thought I was gonna die, and Manny was the closest thing. He clearly had the same idea. Plus, even if we purposely grabbed each other, what's the big deal? He's my best friend, too. And you didn't exactly need someone to hold you, you missed it."

"You're right. Sorry, I'm reading too much into it. You'd tell me, right? If you were dating anyone?"

"You'd be the first to know."

Neither of them knew it, but both of their hearts were aching.

Luke had longed for an answer like 'you'd be the one I'm dating' or 'I don't like manny because I like you'. It was wishful thinking.

Tiana didn't want Luke to ask about about other people she was dating. She wanted him to ask about himself. But he never would. They were just friends.

"If you embarrass me tonight, I'm gonna kill myself," Tiana told Luke and Manny as they headed into her friends house for a party

"Sounds a little drastic," Manny said.