xliii . scare

Tiana had just finished helping Amy and her boyfriend, Mason, set up the nursery for their child. They hadn't gotten everything just yet, considering they wouldn't know the gender until the baby shower the next day.

The couple weren't going all out on the gender clichés, but they were doing the classic pink for a girl, blue for a boy, meaning they couldn't actually decorate the nursery until they knew what they were having. Still, they could move in the furniture, amongst a few other things.

Tiana and Luke were the only two who knew the gender of the baby, since they were the ones in charge of buying the pink confetti balloons and 'It's A Girl!' cupcakes.

"Does your family just naturally produce females?" Luke said, as Tiana got into his car. She had paint on the overalls she was wearing, her hair was tied back and the only makeup she had on was mascara. This wasn't a Tiana Luke was used to seeing, but he liked it.

"I think so. I have one make cousin, that's it. I think my dad had a brother, too. The rest are girls," Tiana said.

"Hm. I picked up the cupcakes, put them in your place."

"You lock the door?"

"Shit."

"Luke! Drive, quick!"

"Sorry!"

Like drove to Tia's apartment building, breaking multiple driving laws in the process. He got pulled over at one point.

"I'm sorry, officer!" He said. He looked at Tiana, who suddenly placed her hands on her stomach gently. The overalls had seemed to puff up around her stomach, making it look like her real belly. "My girlfriend's going into labour!"

"Your girlfriend was painting while nine months pregnant?" The officer asked.

"He's premature!" Tiana snapped, "Now please let us go so I don't have to birth my child in a car!"

The officer didn't really have a choice. He'd be an ass for not letting a couple get to the hospital when a woman was seemingly going into labour. He let them go, and Luke sped back off as Tiana patting down her overalls, the illusion if her pregnancy disappearing.

"That was smart," Luke said, "How'd you get the overalls to sit like that?"

"The just do it naturally," Tiana said, "Kind of annoying, but it's not like I wear them."

Eventually, the pulled up in the parking lot of Tirana's building, running up the stairs so they didn't have to wait for the elevator

"I swear, Luke, if my apartment is ransacked you're dead!"

"It'll be fine!"

Tiana and Luke walked into the apartment, and all seemed well. The lights were off as Luke had left them, and nothing seemed out of placed. The mess Tiana had left in the kitchen in her rush go get to Amy's house was still there.