xiv . experiment

Tiana always knew she probably wasn't gonna go to a big, prestigious college like her sister did. She had never been super smart. Still, she was okay with that. She had other qualities, some that she believed mattered more than intelligence.

Still, a campus tour of an amazing college did make her wish she was as gifted as her sister. Looking around at all of the smart people, the type of people she'd probably make fun of, she felt kind of like a failure.

She wanted to be there to support Alex, though. Amy was in her last year of college, so Tiana knew how stressful it was. Alex, however, didn't seem to be having a hard time. She was good at hiding her emotions.

Tiana and the Dunphy's walked around the campus, listening to Claire rave about how amazing it was.

"Check this out," she said, "A reflecting pond."

"Great," Alex said, "Maybe you can see how crazy you're being right now."

"God, I wish I'd brought a Frisbee," Phil said.

"What's so special?" Haley asked, "Looks exactly like the college I went to."

"And we've been here exactly as long as you were there," Luke said.

"Luke, be nice," Phil said.

"Well, Alex is leaving. Somebody's gotta keep the trains running."

"Back me up here, guys," Claire said, "This place screams 'Alex' right?"

"It looks like every other college in America, what am I missing?" Haley asked.

"Good grades, S.A.T scores, basic verbal skills," Alex listed, "That's how you do it."

"I think your mom's trying to keep Alex close to home," Tiana whispered to Luke

"You think?" Luke asked.

"She's hyping this place up way more than any other college. I almost feel bad. I couldn't imagine my kids living so far away."

"You say that as if you have kids."

"One day."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"That's surprising."

"What, you don't think I can take care of kids?"

"It's not that. You just don't strike me as the type. I mean, you can do anything."

Tiana smiled at Luke's last comment, as Haley came over to them with a flyer.

"Check it," she said, "There's a lab on campus where they do experiments on you for fifty bucks."