Chapter 1 |Intoxicated|

.

.

.

The car zoomed down the main road, the wind whipping through the open windows as the twilight sky descended upon the horizon. The bass of the song thumped through the car, creating a rhythm that seemed to be in sync with the sound of the engine.

'Fatefully

I t..t.tried to pick my battles 'til the battle picked me

Misery

Like the war of words, I shouted in my sleep..p..p'

She sang along with the lyrics, her voice slurring with the intoxication of her emotions and alcohol. Dressed in a black sleeveless ankle-length maxi, her hair was flying with the air. Traces of tears were still visible on her face, her kajal smeared, and eyes bloodshot. Despite her evident sadness, she looked ethereal. Carefree in the moment, she had forgotten her troubles and miseries, her expression a mix of melancholy and peace.

Now I'm all about you
I'm all about you, ah
Yeah, yeah
I'm all about you, ah
Yeah, yeah...

She felt a sudden rush of emotions and she rammed the car to the fullest speed unknown to the future awaiting her.

.......

He made a long-ago promise not to meddle in her affairs, but it was she who played tricks on his innocent heart. He would care about her and think of her subconsciously. He was just being consumed by her in ways he had no idea about. After she and her family arrived back from London, he last caught up with her uncle Faiz's housewarming gathering.

 He had last seen her over ten years prior. To say that he was stunned would be an understatement. He didn't even recognize her at first, but fairly shortly as Waqas uncle reintroduced her to him and their eyes gleamed, he knew right away that this was the same Meerab. 

She looked gorgeous in a floral ankle-length outfit. Her overall aesthetic had transformed, yet the only thing that remained was her doe-shaped honey-brown orbs. The feeling of similarity he felt when their eyes met would always be unique to him. He would have tried to ask if she immediately recognized him, but her soulless eyes and their ruined friendship prompted him not to.

His heart pinched at her pleasantry, but he managed to gather himself. During the night, his gaze would make its way to her. Every other male had been staring at her. That day, he experienced an overwhelming possessiveness for her that he had never felt beforehand. He wished he could stand in front of her and shield her from the vile individuals. But he was conscious of his limitations, and he had no authority over her.

"Waqas chacha, did she not let you know before attempting to leave? Where could she be at this time of night—beyond its midnight—?" Exasperated by his new feelings, he worriedly enquired.