Chapter 6 |Together|

The day had been a quiet affair, with Murtasim not present around for the whole day

The day had been a quiet affair, with Murtasim not present around for the whole day. While Meerab was present in the room, she avoided meeting anyone. The morning affair was quite normal in contrast to what Meerab and Murtasim had thought. They thought they would be asked a series of questions only if they knew anything about their whereabouts. However, they were all wrong. No one had asked them a single question. Instead, they were all in a happy mood. As Murtasim watched Ma Begum's every move, he tried to find signs she was not genuine. But Ma Begum seemed to be content.

After having breakfast, they returned to their rooms. Murtasim resumed back to work. These landlords couldn't afford a moment of idleness.

While Meerab was on her way to her room. She found herself in front of Haya. Meerab was taken by surprise. She knew Haya was struggling with some old-age mental health issues. But she didn't expect to find her in a literal weed-induced haze!

Meerab was concerned and asked Haya if she was okay. Haya replied with a faint chuckle, "When you're here, how can I be at peace?"

Meerab was taken aback.

"Wow, that's a bit intense," Meerab thought. "I was just asking if you were okay, not proposing marriage!"

"Don't be smart okay? I know your true intentions. But you won't be successful at taking Murtasim away from me. He is mine and only mine."Haya said pointing her finger towards her. She looked like a raging bull.

"Just chill, Haya. Let's not lock our horns! Waise, I don't let anyone bring me down. But be respectful of yourself, dude. This obsession won't get you anywhere. And tumhaara Murtasim tumhi ko Mubarak!" She said giving her some peace of mind.

But Haya just looked away with an evil expression.

Meerab for the sake of her sanity just walked away, shaking her head. She didn't want to get into all this drama. Meerab knew that no matter what she said, it was impossible to change Haya's mind. The only thing she could do was stay out of it and try to ignore her. Meerab decided it was prudent to just stay away and not get involved. She had enough drama in her own life to focus on Haya and let her negative attitude drag her down. Life is too short to get caught up in other people's drama. 

****************

Meerab was getting bored here, the eerie silence of the haveli was doing things to her. She would never admit it but the events of the last two days have made her more accustomed to Murtasim. She, unknown to herself, was missing his attention and presence. She shook her head in disbelief. She couldn't understand why she was feeling this way. She stood up and walked to the window, looking outside. As she stared at the horizon, she saw Murtasim walking towards the haveli, his eyes already set on hers. She felt the heat rising up her cheeks. She quickly turned away, her heart was beating faster. She composed herself and slowly turned around to peek through the window, her hands making a fist of the curtains. This time he was smirking back at her, seeing this A wave of embarrassment and confusion washed over her. She let go of the curtains and stepped away from the window, her face flushed with heat.