Chapter 22 |Longing Embrace|

Edited.

.

.

.

Amidst the thick bushes, he stood in a pale yellow kurta, hidden in the shadows. Moonlight cast an eerie glow, illuminating the surrounding foliage. The air was filled with a sense of anticipation.

The man's face was partially obscured by darkness, but the phone pressed to his ear indicated that he was engaged in a clandestine conversation. His voice was barely audible as he spoke in hushed tones, "Yakeenan tumhaari madad ki zaroorat hai... kuch karo." His words hung in the air. (I surerly need your help... do something)

As the man stood there, unaware of his surroundings, a figure emerged from the darkness. It was Ma Begum. She approached the man cautiously, her eyes fixed on him. The moonlight reflected in her piercing gaze as she demanded, "Kon ho tum?" Her voice carried a mixture of suspicion and concern.

The tension intensified as the man slowly turned towards Ma Begum. The moonlight caught his face, revealing a hint of desperation and urgency. His eyes darted nervously, searching for the right words to say. In the distance, soft music emanated from inside the Haveli of dholaki. The melody, once lively and vibrant, now seemed to fade into the background, overshadowed by the gravity of the situation.

Taking a deep breath, the man stuttered, struggling to compose himself. He cleared his throat and finally managed to speak, his voice quivering with nervousness. "Hm Mai woh Rohail..." He paused, as if trying to gather his thoughts. "Haya's friend's brother."

She asked skeptically, "Which friend?"

His words faltered as he struggled to regain his composure. His face betrayed his nervousness, his eyes darting anxiously as he stammered through his explanation. "Um, well, I'm Haya's friend," he muttered, his voice trembling with uncertainty. "M..Mayra. She couldn't make it tonight, so she asked me to come in her place."

Despite his attempts to sound convincing, it was evident he was stammering. The darkness of the night provided a cloak of ambiguity, shielding his untruths from direct scrutiny. Yet, even in the shadows, doubts lingered, casting a veil of skepticism over his explanation.

As he mustered a faint smile, his attempt at confidence fell short. The wavering in his voice betrayed the unease that coursed through him. It was clear that his words were a feeble attempt to mask the truth.

While the daylight would have exposed the lies woven by his anxious words, the cover of darkness offered him a temporary refuge. 

Ma Begum looked at him suspiciously, her fingers rolling around the rosary as she said, "Are you staying over?" He hesitated for a moment, his mouth opening, then closing as if he was about to say something, but then remained quiet. He nervously shifted his gaze away, looking at the ground as he replied, " "Don't know, umm... I'm new here in Hyderabad, so I'm not familiar with the area. Mayra mentioned to Haya that guest quarters had been arranged for the wedding function, so I'm assuming that's where I'll be staying tonight." He looked at her hesitantly, waiting for her response.