Chapter 14 |Fortitude and inception|

He shifted in his seat uncomfortably, feeling the minutes pass as the formality dragged on. He grew increasingly impatient, his mind wandering to Meerab who had left the room over an hour ago. He was desperate to see her again, to catch a glimpse of her face and hear her voice.

He had to, if he wanted to maintain his sanity. He wanted to follow her, but he was stuck in the room, enduring the monotony of the ceremony. He glanced at the clock, willing the hands to move faster.

He couldn't contain himself any longer and stood up, his shoes scraping against the floor. His face was that of tiredness, his expression conveying to Ma Begum that he had to go.

He nodded at the guests in the room, shaking their hands as he made his way out. He wanted to run, but he maintained his composure while walking out the door.

He quickly moved towards his room, his steps hastening as he entered the empty corridor. He started to panic, his heart beating faster as he frantically searched the room for any sign of her. He felt a cold sweat on his forehead as he checked every corner, but she was nowhere to be found.

Has she left? Did she leave the house?

He moved out of their room,now entering into the hallway.

He started searching for her in the hallway, opening every door that came his way. He peered into the room, his eyes darting around as he searched for any sign of her. He called out her name, his voice echoing in the empty hallway. But there was still no trace of her

He began running now, his steps echoing in the darkness as he ran down the hallway. He felt the familiar panic rising in his chest as he remembered the countless times he had lost Meerab in this corridor when they were kids.

He called out her name again, his voice shaking as he desperately searched for her. But all he could find were shadows, and Meerab was nowhere to be seen.

He was becoming hopeless as time passed, thinking that maybe she had gone back to Karachi.

He was busy contemplating on what to do next..when suddenly, he heard the loud screeching sound of a door being shut from one of the rooms at the corner of the hallway.

He shouted, "Who's there?" soon after, he heard rapid footsteps echoing and moving away from the room. He started running after it, shouting, "Who's there?" as he chased the sound.

Despite his best efforts, he was unable to see the person as they fainted in the darkness around the corner. He reached the end of the hallway, but the figure had already disappeared.

He stood there for a while. His eyes looked around and he saw the door of the same room was slightly opened, faint pale yellow light spilling out of the room. He cautiously stepped towards the door and slowly pushed it open.

He felt as if his entire being was sucked out of his body, his breath stolen and his heart frozen in his chest as he took in the scene in front of him. The room was filled with deep, oppressive silence, and the faint yellow light seemed to be the only thing preventing darkness from consuming him.