Chapter 7 |Now and Always|

Her long tresses were combed, and her curls hung loose as she lay on the bed. She looked out of the window, watching the sun dip below the horizon. The sky was a deep, vibrant blue depicting her own internal state of peace. She breathed in the calming fragrance of the aroma put on her by the maids. The setting sun signalled the start of a serene evening, and the maids' aromatic work added to the calm atmosphere. Her thoughts ran wild as she was readied for her mayoon. Yes, she was getting readied for hers and Murtasim's mayoon today.

She slipped into a mustard yellow lehenga. The outfit was beautifully embellished with intricate needlework. It was finished with a rich gold border, which added to its beauty and elegance. Gold threadwork covered the bodice and sleeves, creating a sumptuous look. The dupatta was made of sheer fabric and delicately ornamented with tiny pearls. It was an immaculate combination of class and element. 

As the maid left her alone in her room to go and look at other preparations. She sat on the loveseat on the balcony. She skimmed the sky. The night had already begun to show. She noticed stars, twinkling and glimmering, against the backdrop of a deep, dark blue blanket. The stars stood out against the night sky, creating an illusion of sparkles that seemed to be dancing in the sky. Similar to the Illusion that craft our lives too. Everything seemed so beautiful and peaceful, yet she couldn't help but feel that it was all an untruth. Beyond the stars, there were struggles and pain that weren't visible to the eye. That life was much more convoluted than it emerged. Many stories seeded in the deep sky, the number of stories it had witnessed.             The Haveli was no exception. The walls of the Haveli held secrets that were never meant to be revealed, secrets that could bring the life she knew crashing down. Yet, she could feel the magnitude of the secrets that were being kept, from her, from all the members of the contemporary age. She had never wanted to be related to this family in any way, but now when Ma Begum openly announced her alliance with Murtasim. She knew she had to be a part of it all. After all, she was in for something more.

The previous day was no less than her appraisal day, where she had to decide what her future could be. And it all depended on her single affirmation.

"Maine Meerab ko apne bete Murtasim ke liye muntakhib karliya hai..." The words echoed around her as she pondered over the previous day that had brought her to this moment, she thought about all the things that led to this. 

Despite wanting to shout, sob, argue back, to deny. For the first time ever, Meerab remained silent, her mind numb as she forwarded her hands when Ma Begum pulled out the gold bangles from her hand to put on Meerab. Her eyes accidentally met Murtasim's, and he looked hurt. Meerab could not deny that there was a part of her that was hurt by Murtasim's reaction. She was stuck and her brain was not working correctly. 

Instead of being hostile, she shut herself in her room for the first time in her life. She would not come out and speak to anyone. She tried crying herself to sleep and finding comfort in her thoughts, but sleep never came. She was sitting on her bed when her gaze was drawn to the prayer mat on the display case. Her feet headed to the drawers. She took the prayer mat and set it on the floor. She knelt down and began to pray after doing her ablution. She remained in sujood and prayed for strength to deal with the circumstance. She requested advice and indications to help her make sound life decisions. She prayed for the strength to face the situation.