20 | healer | neteyam (long drabble angst/fluff)

reader is a healer and when they fight the humans on the boat neteyam tells them to stay back and they don't (yolo) and they find neteyam shot and take him back to the village

i messaged them and this is basically the plot, their ask got cut short on accident (reader is gn! :D) semi spoilers also almost death!

It wasn't too long before your test to become a healer, and ronal was teaching you and making you an underling. "I'm so nervous teyam!" you said groaning and ruffling your hair "it'll be alright you're an amazing healer," he said resting his hand on your shoulder "even before ronal was teaching you! I know you'll do great" he smiled warmly.

"Yeah.. i'm just scared that i won't pass because of something stupid— i always manage to mess things up" you said palming your face. "Nun-uh! i think you're amazing i've seen what you can do" neteyam said grabbing your hands and staring into your eyes lovingly.

"Stay please, i want— no i need you to be safe" neteyam looked into your eyes pleading. You felt his anxiety and fear through his words and eyes. "Promise me teyam you'll be safe too okay?" you said cupping his face "of course, i promise," he said holding your hand.

'Be safe' were your last words to him before disaster hit.

It'd been too long— way too long since you had heard from neteyam and that made you worried sick. You paced the beach back and forth as your stomach did backflips "what is taking so long" you mumbled. You were debating going to get him but you told him you'd stay— 'but what if he's hurt?' you thought panicking. 'But he told me to stay— i'll only get in the way' your thoughts were contradicting and you were a nervous wreck.

'But what if they need my help' you thought biting your nails "fuck it" you said stopping in your tracks. "He can be mad later" you mumbled and grabbed your bag of travel medicine supplies and your knife. "Now or never" you whispered to yourself to make sure you'd follow through, then you got on your ilu and set off.

Your heart was beating out of your chest as you saw the demon ship— you pushed on, needless to say, you had to be brave for neteyam. You looked around and dove underwater and saw ilus by brothers rock and you immediately swam over. You reemerged and saw the sully's gathering, and you felt your stomach drop.

You immediately rushed in and saw neteyam, "neteyam!" you wept as you saw his brother lo'ak putting pressure on his wound. "Please help!" tsireya cried holding kiri's hand, "where are your parents?!" you tried to sound calm as you could. "They're on the ship," tuk said crying hysterically as kiri pulled her close.

You took in a shaky breath as you looked at neteyam and your heart broke. "It's going to be okay teyam i'm here okay" you smiled as tears rolled down your face. "T-thank you" neteyam smiled weakly cupping your face "don't s-suppose this could-d count as your t-test" he laughed before coughing. You cried harder and smiled holding his hand "i better pass".