chapter 4: buzzkill

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Once they made it to the Hallelujah mountains, the home of the Omatikaya clan, they jumped off their ikran. Ikariya looked around. It was so amazing, seeing the cave system up close. Villagers had already found their way to them, looking at the girl. She looked a little uneasy and out of place as she smiled and waved at the people. Lo'ak slapped her hand down, chuckling.

'What?' She asked him. 'I just wanted to say hi.'

'You're an idiot.' He said, tugging on her tail.

'Stop that!' She yelled back, smiling as she flicked his ear with her fingers.

'Stop messing around.' Ikariya turned around. It was Neteyam, aka the boy with the bow. He looked serious, standing straight as he looked around at the people.

Those people were going to become his people one day. He was going to be the leader. He wanted to show everybody that he's mature, unlike his idiotic brother.

Ikariya turned her head back, mocking him while sticking out her tongue. 'Buzzkill.' She muttered underneath her breath so only Lo'ak would hear her.

But he wasn't the only one to hear. Neteyam rolled his eyes, walking away as he didn't want to put more of his precious energy into this conversation.

'I will show you to your sleeping quarters.' Ikariya heard from beside her. It was Jake.

Her eyes shot open. 'I'm sleeping here now?' That was interesting. She only thought he brought her with them to let it calm down a little and go back home after a while. She didn't know she was going to sleep here now too.

'Yes, until you aren't in danger anymore.' He responded, looking over to Lo'ak. 'Go to your grandmother. I want you checked for injuries.' He demanded. Lo'ak responded with a "yes sir" and made his way over to their tent after shooting a look over at Ikariya. She didn't necessarily wanted to be left alone with Jake, he was quite intimidating. 'Follow me.' He said, already walking away. Ikariya waddled behind him.

They made it to a tent and stepped inside. They stood still as they didn't really say anything. 'Thank you for letting me stay here.' Ikariya told him, breaking the silence.

'No problem.' He frowned, looking at her face. 'How long have you known Lo'ak?' He asked, sitting down on a few wooden boxes while crossing his arms.

'For about three years now, sir.' She said, her lips forming a line as she smiled.

'You seem familiar. Have we met before?' He studied her, making her turn a bit red from his eyes burning into her.

'I don't think so.' She gulped, thinking back to basically every moment in her life. She didn't remember Jakes face in any way.

He hummed. 'You are from the Tayrangi clan, correct?' Ikariya nodded quickly. 'Do you have family there?'

'Well, I have my mother. But I don't think she'll realize I'm gone.' She told him. It was true. Ikariya didn't think she'd realize. Not because she's a bad mother. She made her into the great warrior she is right now and Ikariya was most grateful for that. It's just that she's busy. Stupid politics. That's what you get for being the Olo'eykte's sister. Plus she's really strict. It's not that Ikariya wanted her mother to put the pieces together and figure out that she was gone.

Besides, she'd sometimes not see her for days on end.

'What is her name?' He asked. She didn't know why he wanted to know. But she didn't really care either.

'Swuayol.' She simply said. Not really thinking he would know who she is. It didn't matter anyways, she wasn't going to find out.

Something clicked in his head as his eyebrows quirked up a little. Swauyol was the sister of Ikeyni, the Olo'eykte of the Tayrangi. That's why she looked so familiar, she looks exactly like Ikeyni. 'Right.' He said. 'I'll inform you that Ikeyni and I are close. This won't be a problem.' It was the truth, he did know Ikeyni very well. They'd fought side by side during the big battle against the Sky People. Jake stood up from his sitting position as Ikariya was looking at him with a blank expression.

'Wait a minute, are you going to tell her?' She asked, confused as can be. She wanted anything but that.

He frowned. 'Of course I am.'

She sighed. Damnit. Now her mother will find out. She's going to lose her shit. 'Alright.'

'You can sleep here. For now, I will let you get checked for injuries as well. Follow me.' He said, already walking away.

Ikariya had to run to meet his pace. She felt people's eyes on her. She slowly scanned her admirers, they weren't shy. They just kept staring at her. She wasn't from here.

☆彡

As it turns out, Neteyam was following Lo'ak the whole time before he got caught by the Sky People. He was sick of wondering where he was all day so he spied on his little brother. Of course his little sisters and his friend Spider had begged to come along. When he found out Lo'ak was with a girl, he laughed at him. But she turned out to be a pretty girl. A very pretty girl. Neteyam prided him for that.

But that feeling changed when he noticed that she wanted to go exploring. She wanted to go to places where he wasn't allowed. He'd tell her and she wouldn't listen. He was always getting in trouble because of her.

She was a bad influence on him.

Like a parasite, she'd sunk her claws into him. Neteyam tried so hard to keep his brother out of trouble and then she came along, ruining everything.

And Neteyam made sure Lo'ak knew. 'Come on bro, you can't be serious. Don't you see what she's doing to you?' He told his ignorant brother. How could he be so naïve, Neteyam thought.

'I think she's pretty.' Tuk said, sitting cross legged on the floor.

Lo'ak and Neteyam ignored her. 'I've known her for longer than three years, Neteyam. She isn't doing anything.'

Tuk rolled her eyes before walking away, annoyed that they ignored her.

'I swear Lo'ak if y—'