chapter 27: brothers

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

'Reya?'

Tsireya turned around, meeting eyes with Ikariya. Her face was glowing, her eyes showing great warmth. 'Hey Riya, what's up?' She asked, throwing one last fish to one of the ilu before washing her hands in the water.

She slowly made her way towards the girl. 'Can I talk to you?'

'Sure.' Tsireya said before jumping on the dock, waiting for Ikariya to join her.

As she did, they both walked over to the beach where they could sit and talk. Ikariya sighed, playing with the sand beneath her.

'So?' Tsireya started, searching to meet Ikariya's eyes. 'What's up?'

'I have to ask you something.' She said, looking up at her. 'Don't be mad. Please.'

'Why?' Tsireya asked before she frowned. 'What did you do?'

Ikariya sighed yet again. 'Okay so Neteyam and I might've been messing around behind Lo'ak's back and he can't know so I told him that I was with you last night which isn't true because I was with Neteyam but I just need you to pretend that I actually was with you last night.' She let out in one breath.

Tsireya looked at her with a blank expression on her face, blinking a few times. She had to take it all in. 'You want me to lie to Lo'ak?'

'I know, I'm asking a lot. But I can't have him find out like that. I want to tell him myself.' Ikariya said. 'Please help me.'

'I don't know if I can.' Tsireya and the rest of the Na'vi didn't take lying lightly. They didn't even have a word for it, they had to learn it from the Sky People. That's why this was such a big deal.

It hurt Ikariya so much to lie to her best friend. But she was scared of what he would think, scared that he'd leave. She held him so close to her heart. 'I know.' Ikariya said, looking down.

Tsireya sighed. 'Fine, I'll help you. But promise me you'll tell him soon.' She pointed at the girl.

'Yes, I promise!' She yelled, hugging the girl.

'Wait, so you and Neteyam?' She raised an eyebrow, looking at her.

Ikariya let go, backing away as she smiled. 'Guilty.'

'I thought you didn't like him, huh.' Tsireya said, smiling as she looked at Ikariya's face. She was getting red, how cute.

'Well, things can change.' Ikariya laughed as the two of them felt heavy footsteps come closer. The girls looked at each other, wondering what it could be.

It was Lo'ak, and he looked furious. Ikariya had never seen him like that before. Then her stomach felt heavy as he was walking right towards her. 'My brother? Really?' He yelled, making the two girls stand up.

'What?' Ikariya asked, her voice shaky. Which asshole told him?

'You've been fooling around with my brother behind my back? Are you kidding me?' Lo'ak asked, his voice cracked a bit. Like he didn't believe it. He wanted her to say it was all a joke. But it wasn't. And that hurt.

'I'm so sorry Lo'ak, I should've told you but—'

'You know how much I was against this! This is exactly why I didn't want you to meet my family.' He yelled while pointing at her. He was causing a small scene, people around them stopping and staring. 'Fuck, Riya.' He tangled his hands in his hair as he sighed.

'Lo'ak please, let me explain—'

'And to think that he actually likes you. He actually loves you. I mean, sure if it was just hooking up it was fine. No hard feelings. But he's so into you it hurts!' He yelled. 'What will happen when you two get together and break up after a while? Do you think you would want to see me? See my family?'

He rambled on. But after hearing the word "love", Ikariya's mind completely shut off. Neteyam loved her? He actually loved her.

Lo'ak stopped talking after he felt two arms embrace him— Ikariya's arms to be exact. 'Lo'ak, don't be stupid. Of course I would want to see you. You're my best friend in the whole world and I wouldn't trade you for anything. Your brother and I just really like each other. It was extremely unexpected, you saw how much we despised each other before. But what we have is beautiful and I can't let it go. So I'm sorry for not telling you sooner, Lo'ak. But I won't stand here and not be with him if you won't allow me to. I am my own person and I make my own mistakes and decisions.'

Neteyam stood behind Ikariya, smiling at her. He was proud. So fucking proud.

'Are you kidding me? How dare you lecture me after all of those lies. I'm supposed to be your best friend. This is exactly why I didn't want you to meet my family. Eywa, I can't see you right now.' Lo'ak said, storming off.

'Lo'ak!' Ikariya yelled after him, tears already welling in her eyes. Why did it have to be like this? Why did she lie to him?

'He'll come around.' Neteyam said from behind Ikariya, walking over to her and kissing her in front of everybody who was watching. Which were a lot of people, might I add. He wanted to do that so bad, claim her in front of everyone. 'You know how much I like you, right?'

Ikariya nodded slowly, hugging him.

'You're my compass, Riya. Without you I'm lost.' He said, making her heart skip a beat.

She was so happy. Everything finally fell into place. It worked out. All of it. Except Lo'ak. But she knows Lo'ak, he can't be mad at her. He'd never been able to me mad at her for long.

Neteyam and Ikariya confessed their feelings for each other, standing in front of a few dozen people who enjoyed the show.

They held onto each other feeling comfortable, like this was meant to be.

The end.

Oh wait, just kidding.

The sudden blow of the horn caught everybody off guard. Tsireya looked at Aonung, who'd been standing behind them this whole time. It wasn't a fun look, let me tell you that. It was full of worry.

They all ran to where the other Na'vi were gathering. Jake, Tonowari and Ronal were at the center of it, speaking to their people.

'My spirit sister has been murdered!'