chapter 17: pink feathers

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Her eyes were on the translucent water in front of her. Sitting on the bouncy path, Ikariya watched as smaller glowing creatures swirled around underwater. In fact, basically everything was glowing underwater. It reminded her of the forest at night. She wasn't going to lie, it looked gorgeous. The bioluminescence captivated her in a way that was so beautiful.

When she felt movement behind her, she slowly turned her head around. Lo'ak was walking, or rather jumping, over to her. 'Hey.' She smiled at the boy as he sat down next to her. 'How was it with Payakan?'

'Good.' He smiled back. 'Hey, I have a huge favor to ask you.' He said with a serious expression and all.

He caught Ikariya off guard, saying that so straight up. 'Alright?' She was intrigued but she already knew that it was something that she probably wouldn't like. And she was absolutely right.

'I need you to sleep on my mat tonight.' He blurted out, already squinting because he knew she would scold him for it. She would give in eventually though, he knew her well enough to say that.

She jerked her head back, raising her eyebrows. 'Why?'

'Because Tsireya wanted to take me somewhere tonight so I have to sneak out. My parents will kill me if they knew I was gone.' He explained to her.

'Okay but why do you want me to sleep on your mat?' She was still a little confused, not really getting what he's trying to say.

'So if they come in it'll look like I'm asleep.'

'But what if they came into my room? I'd be gone.' She raised an eyebrow. He wants her to take the blame. He might be used to Neteyam doing that all the time but she sure as hell wasn't going to.

'They can't be mad at you, they're not your parents. Will you just please help me?' He begged her, ready to go down on his knees if he had to.

She thought about it. Ikariya really wanted to help her friend. But then she realized something. 'Oh hell no, I'll be sleeping in the same room as Neteyam.' She shook her head. 'Nope, not going to happen.'

Lo'ak grunted. 'Come on, Riya. Just do this for me. Please. Don't make me get down on my knees.' He said.

'I kind of like the thought of you on your knees.' She shot him a wink as he rolled his eyes, not really in the mood to joke about anything. It was silent for a bit but then Ikariya sighed. 'Fine. But you owe me!'

Lo'ak exhaled relieved. 'Thank you!' He leaned in, giving her a kiss on her cheek before he stood up. 'You're the best!'

As he ran off, Ikariya yelled at him one last time. 'Have fun with with fish lady! Don't do anything I wouldn't do!' She snickered to herself as her eyes trailed back to the water.

This was going to be hard, sleeping in one room with Neteyam. Like, he was so incredibly annoying it pained her so much.

☆彡

You know what pained Ikariya too? Making these stupid arrows for stupid Neteyam. She was busy wrapping rope around a stick. The warm sand underneath her felt good. It was very comfortable according to her. All of the materials she needed were spread out in front of her. She smirked at the pink feathers she'd picked out for him. That'll teach him, she thought.

She was concentrated, her tongue peeking out a little. So concentrated that she didn't even notice Neteyam standing right next to her.

After a few seconds, she realized he was standing there. She felt his eyes burning into her. After some time, she was done with it.

'What are you doing?' Ikariya asked him, not looking up from her busy hands.

'Watching you.' He blatantly said, catching her a little off guard.

'I can tell.' She said, finally looking up at him. 'stop staring like that. What do you want?'

'Teach me.' Neteyam jerked his head up a little, arms crossed.

'I'm sorry?'

'Teach me how to make them like that.' He pointed at the arrow she was holding.

She frowned. 'What? No.'

'Fine, then I'll keep staring at you.' Neteyam raised his eyebrows, getting back to a comfortable position to stare at her again.

A moment of silence passed.

'Ugh, hand me that knife.' She said as he gave it to her. 'Sit down.' Ikariya pointed to the ground in front of her.

He listened to her. He sat down on the other side of the mess on the ground. Neteyam's eyes scanned over the objects in between them. He noticed the feathers she'd picked out. 'Are you going to use those pink feathers?'

'Yes.' She smugly smirked at him, ready for him to object and be all annoyed.

'Great, I love pink.' He grinned, making Ikariya roll her eyes in annoyance as she continued with what she was doing. He wasn't supposed to like them. He was supposed to hate them and yell at her to go look for different ones. But he didn't. He was very pleased with her idea, making her even more annoyed.

She told him what to do, step by step. Sometimes he'd do it wrong completely, making Ikariya grunt and fix his mistake for him. Sometimes he'd do it on purpose because every time she'd help him, their hands briefly touched. And he liked that.

He wasn't that bad, Ikariya thought. It seemed like he actually wanted to learn from her, listening carefully and copying everything she did. She didn't hate doing this with him. And that said a lot. Ikariya was kind of proud of herself. If Neteyam thought her arrows were worthy of using, they must be pretty darn good. Neteyam was picky with his stuff, only wanting the best. He was becoming Olo'eyktan after all. Or was he? Ikariya didn't know anymore.

She did know that she didn't exactly hate Neteyam anymore. Not like she used to a couple of days ago.

And what interested her the most was;

Neteyam was still wearing her arm band.