chapter 15: worried freak

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

'Tell him what you told me.' Neteyam had his hand on Ayuo's neck as he slapped his hand away. Ayuo looked defeated.

Jake stood up, moving away from Kiri a bit. 'What is it?'

Kiri stood up too, a worried expression formed on her face. She was wondering what her brother was doing.

'Go on!' Neteyam nudged Ayuo as he sighed.

'Lo'ak is way beyond the reef. We took him hunting and—' He didn't want to finish his sentence. He looked over at Neteyam, begging him with his eyes that he didn't have to explain anymore.

But Neteyam wasn't having it. 'Tell him!' He demanded once more as Jake visibly got more impatient.

'We left him there.' Ayuo looked down as his ears lowered.

Kiri gasped, her hand meeting her mouth as she did. 'You are pathetic!' She yelled at him.

Jake shook his head, not really understanding what he meant. 'So where is he?'

Ayuo sighed again, a worried look on his face as he glanced at Neteyam once more. 'I don't know.'

Neteyam was so mad. How could he be so stupid to take him? Lo'ak could be dead for all he knows. And little bitch Ayuo over here doesn't even care. He's only afraid of his dad. He doesn't care about what he did to Lo'ak. Not even a little bit.

Jake glared at Ayuo's face, fresh blood ran down his nose. He frowned, looking at Neteyam's knuckles. They were clean and didn't have any trace of blood. Jake sighed. Ikariya beat him up. Again. But this time, he didn't really mind.

'What the hell are you doing? Come on, we have to look for him!' Jake yelled, pulling Ayuo by his arm with force as Neteyam and Kiri followed him.

They made it over to Tsireya and Aonung's pod. Ikariya was inside. She is livid, not being able to sit still. She wanted to go look for him. She just needed a sign that he was still alive. But Neteyam wouldn't let her go out alone. It was dark already and she doesn't know the sea. Jake spotted her and she stood up, walking up to him. 'I tried to hold in but I ju—'

'Good job.' Jake whispered, putting his hand on her shoulder before looking away again. 'I will get your parents.' He ran out of their pod, leaving the children in there.

Ikariya wanted to run out of there. She needed to find Lo'ak. They were wasting precious time. But Neteyam noticed and walked up to her, grabbing her arm before she could turn away. 'I know you want to find him but please, we don't know the sea like they do. You'll get lost or drown or worse. Just let them handle this.' His eyes seemed sincere, soft almost.

Ikariya scoffed. She was annoyed.  Maybe it was because Lo'ak was nowhere to be found. He was all alone in the ocean, probably wondering where they were. Or he was dead, floating around with his head underwater. 'Since when do you care?'

Neteyam frowned, it wasn't the answer he was expecting. 'I'm just trying to prevent you from getting yourself killed.'

'Do you not care that Lo'ak is lost? He could be dead! Or maybe he isn't and us doing absolutely nothing will kill him!'

Everybody around them was looking for the boy. They yelled his name. People went out on their ilu and skimwings to try and find him. But Ikariya couldn't stand that she wasn't allowed to help him.

'Of course I do! He's my fucking brother. I'd kill for him! But there isn't anything we can do right now. We have to wait until one of the warriors finds him.' Neteyam sighed as he watched Ikariya back away.

'I used to be a warrior.' She shook her head, looking at him with a disappointed look on her face.

'The boy has returned!' Both Ikariya and Neteyam's ears shot up as their heads flung around to see who'd yelled. They both ran to the water as Lo'ak rode on the back of someone's skimwing. 'The Sully boy, we found him.' He thanked the man, jumping off.

Neteyam and Ikariya stood next to Tonowari, seeing if Lo'ak was okay.

Jake hopped off his skimwing as well, making his way over to Lo'ak. 'Hey, let's have a look at you.' He said, grabbing his arm and checking him for injuries. 'He's fine. He's fine. Yeah, just a few scratches.'

Neytiri appeared behind them, running up to Lo'ak. She was worried, grabbing onto his shoulders. 'I pray for the strength that I will not pluck the eyeballs out of my youngest son.' She moved her hand up to his face, mimicking the movement of actually plucking his eyes out with her hand.

'No!' Ikariya yelled. 'It was Ayuo's fault.' She said, pushing him forward.

All eyes were on him and he gulped, looking around.

Tonowari looked at Ikariya and then at Ayuo. 'Is this true?' He asked Lo'ak. Lo'ak slowly nodded, making Tonowari look at Ayuo again. 'I will speak to your parents about this childish behavior.' Ayuo nodded, just wanting to disappear. People started whispering as Tonowari dismissed everyone.

Ikariya ran up to Lo'ak with Neteyam right behind her. 'You idiot!' She yelled, smacking him on the back of his head.

'Ouch.' He rubbed the sore spot, frowning at her.

'Why did you go with him? You could've died!' She asked him, Neteyam wondering the same.

'I just wanted to, okay. I didn't think they were going to leave.' He explained. The thing was, when Lo'ak told him no Ayuo said that he was probably asking the wrong brother. Meaning that Neteyam was the badass and Lo'ak just a wuss. He wanted to show that he can be like Neteyam. Heroic and mature. But of course these people had to ruin it for him.

'Never fucking scare me like that again. You hear me?' Ikariya was afraid she'd lost her best friend. She was so worried.

Lo'ak smirked, opening his arms. 'Come here you little worried freak.'

'I was not worried!' She said, pointing her finger at him.

'Come on, you know you want to.' He grabbed her wrist, pulling her into a hug. 'I'm not going anywhere. You're stuck with me.'

Neteyam watched them. They were pretty close. He thought it was pretty cute, how much Lo'ak cared for his best friend. A smile crept up on his face. He kept telling himself that it was because he felt relieved that Lo'ak was alright. But something inside of him told him that it was something different.