Orenda

Hurry.

The thin soles of my shoes slap against the rugged harshness of the ground. Each jagged edged pebble digs into my soles with little reprieve granted from the thin straps that separate my bare feet from the sharpness of nature underneath me.

'Where is he?'

My thoughts are as haphazard as my mind, eyes trying to peer through the thick layer of rain pummelling down on me. I have to evade both the rain from getting into my eyes while also eluding the prickly branches trying to stab themselves into my side.

Grunts of exertion pour from me and soon I find myself halting, hands propped on my knees as sharp bursts of air trying to get into my lungs. My shoes squelch in the thick mud now smearing up my legs and the edges of my dress.

The mere sight irking me immensely.

It's not like I have the luxury of one of those fancy washing machines like Aine has. Maybe I could throw in a few piles of clothing and she'll be none the wiser.

A gentle nudge has me realising that I have other things I need to focus on. With a harrumph, I hike my dirty dress and march forward, ignoring the way I stumble multiple times, nearly face-planting into a rather solid-looking tree.

My legs are sore by the time I'm close enough to where my companion awaits. The rain quells as fast as it came but the dampness is nothing to be trifled with. Flecks of due coat the forest's entirety and soft white whisps begin to curl around my ankle. The bleak mist hangs low like a cloud wanting to submerge every living being that dare goes near it. I reach out a hand, almost as if I'll be able to grasp the thick fog but come up short.

I'll be able to grab it one day.

How far now?

I peer through the thick fog, trying to catch my bearings when something soft brushes against my bare leg. Squatting down, I shoo the gloom way only to see a flash of chartreuse green languishingly staring up at me.

The grin on my face is automatic and only grows wider when the creature flashes its fangs in its own little Cheshire cat smile. Its long guard hairs are a reddish brown that I adore. Small pointed ears perking up as the kitsune rubs its long bushy tail against my knee. Reaching down, I scratch at his soft underbelly, white fur sticking to my hand due to its shedding.

Intelligent eyes meet mine once more as it nods its head to the side, indicating we have to go.

"What is it exactly? You need to be more forthcoming with your words," I inform the fox smartly, the animal tilts its head to the side.

"Hm, cat got your tongue?" Giggles explode out of my mouth before they're replaced with a hiss. The damn undergrown dog nipping me for the slander.

Another nudge to my bare legs has me sobering up, knowing there is something important out there. Otherwise, my furry companion wouldn't be so austere in going there and seeing what the matter is. The both of us traverse on in silence with the cloying atmosphere slowly dampening my high-spirited mood, leaving me sullen and saturnine.

The trek is more precarious than one I've travelled in a while. The heart of the forest was thick with a cloying uneasiness. The once rich green trees and underbrush are now nothing but grey and wilted. Even the tiny critters that would chirp and chatter in alarm, were nowhere to be seen or heard.

My familiar and I share a look, already knowing there is much to be trifled with.

It doesn't take long before the both of us come to a halt, feeling a disturbance in the air around us. The thick air invisible to the naked eye bit heavy on the lungs and filling minds with paranoia starts to dissipate, albeit slightly.

The kitsune takes on a mind of its own, already knowing better than I on what to do as he meanders deeper into the bushes till he's out of sight. I follow but at a much slower pace, feeding into his emotions and taking note of everything he's purposely sending through.

With quiet stealth, I traipse after the animal, careful not to make too much noise, alerting someone at this stage could be very detrimental. With a skittish animosity, I delve further into the folds of the foliage only to stop when I hear the soft crunching sounds of careful footsteps trying to quieten the otherwise thunderous sounds giving away their location.

Squinting through the thick foliage, my eyes catch sight of a rag tag group of men. My own eyes widening at the man in the forefront. The sheer power emanating from the leader of the group catches me off guard and I nearly give myself away as I stumble back.

Only one man could have an aura like that.

I wonder where his crown is?

"Are we there yet?"

The question from one of the men is met with resounding groans from everyone else. The man looks like a young boy although I can tell he's older than he looks. Soft brown hair lays haphazard on his head and his pale skin is flushed red from over exertion.

The other men's groans are cut off as the man at the front waves his hand to silence them all.

Trepidating enters their eyes and they go on alert, a slight giggle nearly escaping before I clamp my hands over my mouth, trying my best to muffle the sounds. My kitsune stares them down and they quickly catch onto the fact that he's not just some random fox taking a stroll in the woods.

"That's not an ordinary fox," A voice speaks up. It's owner looking like he could do with a good scrub. Which is saying something coming from someone who scrambles around in the woods.

"It's a familiar."

A damn good one at that too!

"I'm not familiar with it," That same baby faced man announces to everyone but I'm more focused on my little companion.

The little canine pins the group down with his malignant stare, making sure everyone is aware of the fact that he's not here to play.

A little nudge through our bond has me straightening myself up, aware of what to do next.

We can't trust anyone here. No one comes to the wood's unless they're up to something and about to commit acts that they don't want prying eyes encroaching upon.

Nodding to my familiar, I watch it discreetly bow it's head before eyeing the man at the front. He's the man I have to look out for.

As quietly as I can, I scurry backwards and make a direct beeline for a place where I know I'll have the upper ground. I know the wood's like the back of my hand and I can use that to my advantage.

Something tells me the King is here for more than a little trip through the woods.

The route takes me a little longer to come across since I had to go around the young men, not wanting to reveal myself too soon to them. My familiar does a good job of taking them on a wild goose hunt, then thinking he'll lead them to me which is exactly what he's doing.

Soon enough, I reach my destination where the fog is at it's peak, hiding me from wandering eyes. My familiar sits casually in the middle of the clearing, eyeing the men as they spread out, trying to capture the culprit behind this whole trip.

'It's me,' I want to jump out and exclaim, maybe even throwing a boo in there for extra flavour.

As much as I'd like to scare them to their wit's end, they all carry pointy daggers which can cut me to ribbons.

I'm not suicidal, for the most part.

————-

AN: Hello everyone! Another update within twenty four hours?? I'm as surprised as you all are.

Please do let me know how the first chapter went and if you have any feedback. Good or bad. It all works, I'll take anything as long as I can improve.

Also, I'll try my best too update twice a week so I hope that works for all of you.

Question: Are you a new reader or are you here from Court of Night?

Please remember to:

Vote
Comment
&
Share