Sequitur

The scene before me is almost abstract. Bits and pieces coming out at me but yet taking me off guard all simultaneously.

It doesn't take a quick silver fox to realise the situation I'm about to be placed in. The quick flick of the rodent's ears has me zoning back into the man at the front, noting the aura that comes off of him in waves.

With narrowed eyes, I lean forward and press the pads of my fingers into the rough bark of the evergreen trees. My familiar is quick to notice my intrigue and the flick of it's ears causes me to frown.

Pulling myself back, I take in the sight from a safer distance, not wanting to get even more onto my Kitsune's nerves. He doesn't take long in putting me in my place, the only creature on this planet that is capable of doing so.

It's easy to figure out why there was such a strong grasp of desperation clawing it's way through me. The reason why I was running as fast as I could a few moments ago by some unexplainable force.

The man at the front is the one to explain for all of this. Standing tall and in the center of the group, a few steps ahead of everyone else. Even though he shows no sign of authority, his sheer presence is enough to cause the entire forest to come to a standstill.

No crown. No medals or badges. Just a dark hooded leather coat that wraps around him and garners attention instead of dispelling it.

I wonder what the King is doing frolicking through the woods?

The group of men is rather large for an excursion trip but the lack of guards leaves me intrigued as to what exactly brings them here. One man stands slightly behind the King, eyes zooming in on the fox in wonder but something tells me there isn't much sense behind those eyes of his.

A few other men lurk behind the two, hanging back but not intervening and letting their King take control. Even with the group in front of me, something doesn't feel right. It's as if something is missing. As if I'm just about to finish a puzzle of some intricate landscape only to realise that I'm missing the centrepiece of it all; something that is glaringly obvious but also blending so imperfectly into the chaos of the forest.

Even my familiar is on edge, our feelings swirlign together and catching me off guard because it is something that rarely happens. I wish I was not an emotional person but I'm turbulent in nature and can never experience only one set of emotions.

My familiar on the other hand is always calm. Either calm or annoyed and that is something which keeps me grounded. But the situation at hand is something I am not familiar with as my kitsune watches on but doesn't make contact, eye focused on the King although something tells me that we're missing something much more important.

The tense air around us has me squirming where I stand, something within the air is practically forcing my attention. A soft breeze swirls all around me, starting from somewhere in the belly of the forest deep behind me, only to come rushing forward in soft torrents of rustling hair and crunching leaves scraping against the hardest ground.

My familiar takes a swift step back and I can tell he wants to come back towards me, probably eager to curl into the folds of my cotten dress till no one can differentiate between cloth and fur. With a furrow of my brows, I take a cautious step forward, my senses on high alert.

One would think it's probably because of the uncertain situation I find myself in, standing before the King who looks as if he's on a mission with no good ending in sight. Unfortunately, I already know that things aren't as simple as this.

Surreptitiously, I peer over my shoulder as a cold draft overtakes me, the hair on my body standing on end as I feel the unembodied sensation of someone running their eyes on me. Although impossible, a warning blares in my head, something alerting me of the fact that there is certainly more than what meets the eye here.