Querencia

The change in the air is all one needs to know to recognise that the forest is coming to an end. The cloying atmosphere that hung on the ends of branches and tips of leaves, encompassing each pore in the human body suddenly letting up, dissipating into thin air.

The black magic only finds home in the surroundings of the forest, squandering deep inside but almost as if it refuses to step out and into the rest of the world.

Thankfully we had left that behind us all now, and with the lighting of the sky from dust to dawn, we were traipsing on the outskirts of the Old City, crossing farm holds with people either still nestled into the warmth of their beds or just rising to face the new day.

A thin layer of frost accompanied our footsteps, untouched before we came and traversed all across the road, dew forming at the soles of our shoes as sereine rain trickles all around us. Not a cloud in the sky but that doesn't stop darkness from surrounding us, blanketing us in.

Wrapping the cloak around me, I glance back at one of the warriors who gave me a spare on the behest of the King. I had even reached down to pluck my fox into the folds of my covering but one sharp look from my familiar had me halting in my steps and nearly falling flat on my face in front of everyone.

That would have been a whoopsie indeed.

"We're nearly there!" An excited whisper rises from beside me.

The young man named Ezra was quick to befriend me, tagging along and trying to make small talk.

I appreciated the effort but I find small talk absolutely ghastly.

Something I told him only for him to question;

'Who talks like that?'

Quiet murmurs of appreciation rise from the small group as I lift my gaze from Ezra to the sights in front of me.

My eyebrows raise of their own accord, eyes keenly taking in the way we cross past a thick wall and wrought iron gates with prongs as thick as me in diameter. Sweeping my eyes passed the gate that lies ahead, I smile at the feel of the smooth path fading away into cobbled stone streets. A bazaar of sorts opens up to my left and a plethora of houses springing up all with lanterns at a dim, barely causing the smooth stones to glint in the light.

"We can cut through the market, no one will be up. It'll be much quicker but just in case, Brutus, William. Scout ahead. I don't want any civilians getting any wrong ideas."

The King's command is stern and clear, the two warriors scuttling off after apt 'yes's' as we trail after them.

We walk on in silence as we have during much of the trip although I don't mind it, too intrigued by the Old City which I have only gone a handful of times before. Mostly when I was but a child and when my mother wasn't threatening to kill me. Or me her if I'm being honest.

The warriors certainly know how to do their jobs as we cross through the market with no one in sight. Weaving through the back end of stalls and through side alleys, I soon notice we aren't marching up the front steps of the castle as I imagined.

No.

Instead, I could tell we were skirting up a hill where the great monstrosity of a building was built, going from the back rather than the front.

The draconian-esque castle rose in high turrets almost as if spirals were shooting out of every corner. It most certainly is intimidating in the little light that beseeches us. A true castle is what I would call it but not out of a nice cute fairytale, it seems more like what stereotypical vampires such as Dracula would be seen crawling in.

Shivering at how cold the castle looks, I'm pleasantly surprised when the King moves past us and towards a small gate covered in overgrown moss and creepers. Pushing the latch aside, the King motions us through, still keeping a keen yet inconspicuous eye on me.