Metanoia

The day doesn't come sooner. Dark grey clouds chock full with rain, thunder cracking in the far distance as I stand in the entrance of the large hall. The towering twin doors are open a crack, just enough for a person the size of a bulldozer to comfortably walk in.

The wind whirls from the outside, icy spray hitting me smack in the face while goose bumps erupt onto my skin.

I wish that was solely because of the cold frost and not what awaits me within a few hours' time.

The sun isn't out yet, daybreak faltering from the covering of clouds above. Wrapping my arms around myself, I wait for my Familiar to wander back inside.

The entire night I laid awake, almost anxious about the day ahead. Not sure how this would go.

I had a good thing going here. I was living in a nice place, much better than what I was living in before. My little run down shack leaving nothing to be desired. The mere thought has me sighing in dismay, unsure of where to go from here.

My rampant thoughts followed by my Familiar having the zoomies in the dead of night didn't really help with my lack of sleep. Now here I am, standing next to the front entrance while my pet fox goes to take a potty outside.

My subdued senses are numb to the cold, my arms wrapping around myself as I bask in the sprays of water splashing onto my face.

"Are you stalking me?" My tone is teasing but even the dust mites in the air can hear the hopeful lilt in my voice.

Much to my embarrassment.

The shadow at the end of the hall moves, surprised that I've called it out.

I usually wouldn't but I'm always intrinsically aware whenever a certain someone is in the near vicinity.

"I'm sure you would like that."

Whipping around, a giant grin stretches across my face as I narrow my eyes to pinpoint the perpetrator.

"I must look ravishing in the moonlight. Not only are you acknowledging me but did you just crack a joke, Mr. Wolf Man?"

Mr. Wolf Man doesn't take too kindly to his new nickname, instead he retreats a few steps.

"Don't be scared. I don't bite, normally. Although I can make an exception for a cutie like you."

The silence I'm met with is enough for me to gain on him, using the advantage to approach him after what must probably stunned him.

I don't think the revered assassin and right hand man of the King has been called a cutie before.
I stop a few steps away from him, the both of us in an eerie glow from candles lit around us and bouts of flashing thunder. The man makes it a point not to move any further, keeping up a stoic façade when all I want to do is reach up and pinch his cheeks.

His usual cloak flutters around him like a second skin, the hood pulled down. Unfortunately, his face is covered from view. A darned scrap of cloth covering his mouth and nose. The only visible part being his dark eyes peering deep into my soul.

I wonder if he can peer even lower.

"Why are you awake?" The tone leaves no room for argument and my suspicions grow deeper.

Is he here to keep an eye on me?

"I could ask you the same thing."

The intense urge to reach up and touch him overcomes me, every fiber in my being pulsing with the thought of running my palm over the side of his cheek or splaying my fingers over his threads of hair but I stop myself.

It's rather difficult to keep myself back, trying to tell my heart and soul that I need to give the man space but also trying to reel him in.

Biting my cheek, I take a step before turning around, flourishing my hand towards the open door.

"Should we make our way to the forest. I'm sure the rest will be rousing soon and I'd like to have a head start. Enjoy the peace and quiet."

Liar. You want to spend time with him alone and not surrounding by a gaggle of people.

Wolf man makes no inclination of wanting to spend time with me but I take his lack of running away in the opposite direction as a good sign.

With immense effort to take the shit eating grin off my face, I head down the large hall, nearing the door that stands ajar with a few guards eyeing me cautiously.

I hope my body language conveys how my slight pause is for him to join me. To not let me traverse alone in this harsh rain. The more negative part of me cackles at my efforts, knowing he's going to chew me up and spit me out.

With one final look outside, knowing I'll be facing the elements, I glance down at my clothes. Another dress added to my collection of other dresses. This one was a white number, long and nearly touching the ground. The top of my chest could be seen due to the intricate cupping around the breasts before cinching at my waist and flowing down. It didn't have any prints or designs but was soft and something I adored.

Thankfully, I had the foresight to bring a cloak with me. Satisfaction coursing through me as I pick up the hood and cover my head with it.

Not only will I be protected from the rain but I'll also be matching with the person who is slowly following me out the door.

Rather than my usual soft shoes, black laced up boots cover my feet. The shoes uncomfortable due to the hardness of it. Especially since I love to walk around barefoot more than half the time.

The trek is quiet but my soul is at peace. The trip down the hall is pleasant even with thunder crashing around us but never too close by. Something tells me a certain King wouldn't like that happening.

The view from here is magical in itself. Although the rain tears down in sheets, a smile crosses my face as I stare at the sleeping town. It's not early enough for the humans to rise, almost as if a sleepy spell has been cast on the inhabitants. Cobbled roads and houses meshed together, a longing rising in my heart as I catch sight of a chimney with smoke billowing out.

"Are there any of our folk down there?" I question softly, still focused on the town as my Familiar trots a few feet in front of us.

No words are spoken for a moment but I glance out of the corner of my eye and see Wolf nodding his head.

"A few. But they don't often reveal themselves. Humans aren't kind towards what they consider abnormal."