Limerence

I wasn't sure what to expect from my time here. Mingling amongst royalty and beings far above me both in stature and importance. My first few days, I didn't care much about where I was and who I was talking to. I only had one thing on my mind.

Unfortunately, the person I was trying to see most escaped me like mist between cramped fingers.

Days had passed and no word or glimmer from the man I have been wanting to feast my eyes onto. Instead I've been hounded and harangued by the King and Queen who are rather nice but don't enjoy seeing a witch sleep. There's another woman whom I don't like much. She seems rather nice but something about her screams to be wary of her.

It could be that she's a Mage. Not a true witch but more like someone who reads fairy tales and believes she could be one of us. As if. It's not her gummy smile which I mean literally since no teeth line her gums, only skin falling into the escape of her mouth as she grins at every passerby like she knows each and every one of their secrets.

Rui visited me on a regular basis and her mate was always nearby lurking. The only person with half a brain seems to be the War General.

Why on Earth would I attack someone or do some other treasonous act when I could be dead within seconds afterwards?

"Have you found a special lady friend? Guy friend? I'm not judging," I muse to my familiar who looks at me through disgruntled eyes.

My mind drifts to the creatures of the forest. Little fae's who are as robust as they are flaming but also equal parts viscous. I've woken up to one trying to bite the tip of my finger just because it didn't like the way I looked at it.

Glancing down at the slight scare running from the tip of my finger, starting just underneath my nail before vanishing not long after. The little fucker had sharp teeth.

Perusing my surroundings, I grin as I think of the days prior when my little familiar came bounding at me. Chuffs of inappropriate laughter resounded from his chest. I couldn't gain much from what he was trying to say but the feeling overtaking me let me know it had something to do with that mate of mine.

The person I am utterly convinced of now. He is my mate and as much as he tries to deny it, nothing will change that.

Running my hands over the bumps and grains of the taffeta white walls, I take in the sight of a couple sitting upright on a sofa that doesn't look the least bit comfortable. They're like night and day from the man's thin greying hair, flecks of blonde still apparent and deep green eyes, startling. The woman's hair as thick as night and not a colour of grey to be seen, eyes a deep brown, almost black as she sits poised with her shoulders thrown back and posture straight.

Ah, the previous King and Queen.

I wonder where they've been holded up?

Probably in hiding after all those attempted murders.

My steps are languid as I take a nice stroll, peeking in through different rooms to take in the caring decor and to see if anything is valuable enough for me to borrow.

My kitsune lets out a soft purr, agreeing with my thought process. Probably thinking how he could take his little girlfriends out on dates.

"This is the life. Imagine us just spending our days here," I say softly to my furry companion.

Although the both of us know we'd dread it. Being a witch makes me naturally inclined to being surrounded by flora and fauna alike. The constant urge to dig my bare feet into soft squelching soil, the smell of rain absorbed into the very ground and the sounds of wildlife penetrating my ears like a siren calling me to my very being.