Zephyr

"Pissed doesn't describe what I'm feeling."

"Mm. You just want to eat him out."

I can't even fathom what the silly man was going on about.

All I can feel is the swirling tide of emotions breaking down inside of me, battering against my ribcage and screaming to be let out. A slight flush overtakes my cheeks and spreads down to my collarbones.

I feel awfully hot to the touch.

My eyes are focused on the dreary weather outside. It wasn't anything new and often something I found the utmost solace in. Now, it was just a stark reminder of how I feel on the inside.

The battle was over and my mother had fled. Someone who I thought was six feet under since the past year. It was like getting slapped in the face with a wet fish. A moment that I am not too keen on experiencing again. It did wonders for rough bumpy skin but the after effects are not something to be trifled with.

Aine complained about me smelling like dead fish for a week after.

"I cannot believe that wretched woman is alive!"

My voice comes out frustrated and I eye the annoying man who stumbles away from me. My Familiar lay curled against my feet, seeking reprieve against the cold bite in the air. He was like my very own personal rug. Of course, fur is out of the question with a companion such as him and so I had to make due with using him in that capacity.

He didn't seem to mind.

"Did you ever see her die?" Ezra questions as he sprawls himself against the futon.

I stare out the window. The lights twinkle down in the Walled City. The high tower was situated in the northeast of the building. The tower felt like it was the center of the Walled City with its spirals carved out of obsidian stone as it yielded up to the heavens. The tower was like a silent sentinel as it thrummed with energy. Each step sent a burst of whispers up to the climbers ears and a mystifying static caressed its way up a body. The cylindrical walls were covered in ornate tapestries as winds danced around their majestic height. Their colors flickered in the glow of enchanted scones and let up to a lone chamber high above everything else.

I frown at Ezra's words. I didn't like the insinuation behind them. Does he think I didn't try? I wanted front row seats to her death but the coven stopped me. They drawled on and on about privacy and how you shouldn't disturb someone in their last moments.

It was all a load of codswallop but the coven didn't let up.

"I mean, I'm pretty certain that I saw her head after she was decapitated. I guess I was so happy that I didn't consider checking properly."

Pointy whiskers pinch me on my legs. Gazing away from the forest, as it glistens in the distance from all the rain, I look down at my legs to see my Familiar staring up at me. His green eyes are vibrant and one could get lost in them. A lot of people did. Almost as if they were being stupefied.

He sure was a cutie.

His brown tipped nose twitches and his whiskers bat against my legs.

"You've got interesting family dynamics. Anyways, what plans do you have now?"

Picking up my Familiar in my arms, I ignore the small mew that escapes out of discontent.

"We're going to go to my house first. I have a few things to do and then I'm heading out somewhere. I need to gather as much information as I can."

"Good luck with that block of ice."

A perpetual feeling gnaws its way through my stomach. It's probably a flesh eating parasite that's trying to make a hole through my large intestine. It'll still be better than meeting my soulmate who doesn't even consider me as his.