𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐

RHAENYRA TARGARYEN HAD GONE INTO labor once more

RHAENYRA TARGARYEN HAD GONE INTO labor once more. Her screams and curses could be heard from the hallway where Naerys, Jacaerys and Lucerys sat together. The court was preparing to receive another royal babe. Whispers of the child's parentage were ablaze, and nobody expected this one to be any different from the previous three.

Naerys twitched in her seat, disturbed by their mother's yelps of pain. "I never want to have children. If this is what awaits me, I don't want it."

Jacaerys planted a reassuring hand over hers. "You have plenty of time before that happens."

"You would have to be married first," Lucerys said, grimacing at the thought of their older sister being married off to some lord and abandoning them.

"Oh, gods! Fuck!"

Naerys jolted from her seat and pushed the door open, rushing to her mother's side. "Mother!"

"My sweet girl," Rhaenyra exhaled loudly, wiping beads of sweat from her forehead. "You should not be here. You are too young to witness this."

"Mother! Are you dying?"

Rhaenyra gave her a mirthless chuckle. "It feels like I am, but no, your brother is just stubborn."

"Is there anything I can do to help you?" inquired Naerys, squeezing her mother's hand tightly.

They both turned their heads to see Jacaerys and Lucerys coming towards them, concerned looks plastered on their faces. Rhaenyra couldn't help but smile at the sight of her three children surrounding her, worried and ready to help if necessary. They nearly made her forget about the waves of pain that racked her body. "I don't want you to worry. Go wait outside, really. It won't be long."

Naerys nodded solemnly, taking hold of her brothers' hands. They appeared adamant at first but ended up following their older sister outside. Not too long after they stepped out and the door closed, the screaming carried on as before.

It was going to be a long day for all of them.

______________

Aemond had grown sick and tired of his older brother's constant harrowing behavior.

Whether it was because he was reaching a certain age, which according to Aegon, it was natural for him to begin getting better accquainted with the ladies, or because he was still the only Targaryen in their family without a bonded dragon... he simply wouldn't quit bothering him with his opinions. Aemond would much rather sit in the library all by himself, reading books about his ancestors and their legendary dragons, instead of heeding the foolish plans of his drunk brother.

A part of him even wished for Rhaenyra Targaryen to become Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. How could someone as deranged as his brother become King? Catastrophes were certain to ensue if Aegon ever came to sit on the Iron Throne.