𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓

NAERYS DID NOT WITNESS THE FIGHT between Ser Criston Cole and Ser Harwin Strong, but her brothers told her everything she needed to know

NAERYS DID NOT WITNESS THE FIGHT between Ser Criston Cole and Ser Harwin Strong, but her brothers told her everything she needed to know. The consequences that were to follow would be severe, no doubt. In addition to being removed from his post as Commander of the City Watch, she feared what else would happen to the knight.

Her mother was clearly distressed by those news. Ser Harwin had fallen right into Cole's trap by allowing himself to be provoked by his affronting insinuations. Especially in front of King Viserys, who had gone to the courtyard to watch his sons and grandsons practice sword-fighting together.

Naerys could almost cut the tension in the room with a knife. Rhaenyra was holding Joffrey in her arms, pacing across her chambers, whilst Jacaerys and Lucerys sat on the couch. Naerys stood by the window, watching people pass by outside.

A light knock on the door startled the five of them. Naerys darted over to see who it was, a smile lighting up her face when she spotted Ser Harwin. She moved aside to allow his entrance and sneaked a look at the hallway to make sure no one was spying on them before closing the door again.

"Boys," he uttered softly, his voice charged with heavy emotions. "Naerys. I have come to say goodbye. My presence is expected at Harrenhal."

"Do you really have to go?" Naerys asked sadly.

"I do, princess," he confirmed, staring at her with those brown eyes, full of love and sorrow. "We will meet again, little one." His gaze fell upon Jacaerys and Lucerys, who could barely look at him. "Be good to your mother, lads. Take care of your sister. I will visit when I can, but that may be some time."

Jacaerys shook his head. A groan left his lips as he went to stand by Rhaenyra. She combed her fingers through his brown locks, muttering, "Jace."

"I will return. I promise," Ser Harwin insisted vehemently, this time staring into his lover's eyes. Her lower lip quivered slightly. She was trying so hard not to cry. His hand grazed little Joffrey's forehead, who had fallen asleep in Rhaenyra's arms. "I will be a stranger when we meet again."

A sour lump of guilt formed in the back of his throat. Although it pained him deeply to leave his family like this, he knew it was for the best. He forced himself to remain calm, and to look her in the eye once more. She was so beautiful. How he loved that woman. He would have killed and died for her and their children without hesitation.

"Princess."

If Ser Harwin had promised they would see one another again, why did it feel like the last farewell? Naerys shivered all over, watching him as he opened the door and walked out of their lives.

Possibly forever.

______________

"Naerys," Rhaenyra called, drawing her attention. "Jacaerys, Lucerys. Your father and I need to have a very serious conversation with the three of you."