𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔

DRAGONSTONE WAS MAGNIFICENT

DRAGONSTONE WAS MAGNIFICENT. Regardless of its gloomy appearance, the castle was colossal. The landscape was rich with plenty of vegetation and endless cliffs. However, what truly made Naerys feel at home was the beach below the fortress. She loved the sound of the crashing waves and the seagulls flying above them. She loved the sensation of the thin sand tickling her toes as she strolled barefoot along the sightly shore.

She wondered if Aemond would have loved it too. She hoped he would, for she wanted to bring him there, so they could love the ocean together.

Only four days had passed since they had arrived at Dragonstone, but she was already starting to miss him. Annoying her younger brothers didn't bring her the same amount of satisfaction, even though she could still enjoy it. At least her dragon seemed happier. Free from the Dragonpit, she would often see him flying around the castle, or taking quick dives to catch fish. Blackfyre didn't seem to have lost his connection with Vermax and Arrax, as it was quite common to see the three dragons flying and hunting together. His freedom was everything she had wanted and it brought her a lot of relief to see him like this, spreading his wings and conquering the skies, as it should have been all along. Alas, there was something missing.

She didn't know where home was anymore. She missed King's Landing because of the people, but she loved Dragonstone. If only the rest of the people she cared about could join her there, everything would align itself perfectly.

"How will I tell them?" asked Rhaenyra, watching her sons and daughter from the window of her chambers. They were currently busying themselves with throwing balls of wet sand at each other. "Laenor. How will I tell them their real father has died? Most likely murdered by the Hightowers."

Laenor sighed heavily, leaning against the window. "Do you want me to talk to them?"

"It should be me," she said absently. "Harwin loved all of them. Even Naerys, and she wasn't his."

Laenor tried to hide his grimace. This was new information, even though he had suspected it before. Out of the four children, she was the only one who didn't resemble Ser Harwin in the slightest. Naerys was a full Targaryen.

"We tell them today," Laenor decided, folding his arms in front of his chest. "After dinner."

"They have the right to know," she agreed, taking a long, shaky breath to steady herself.

A thought occurred to him. "Tell me something. Was her father of Valyrian descent?"

Rhaenyra went rigid. "Yes... he was."

Laenor nodded slowly, glancing down at her with wide eyes. "Well, the rest is not so hard to guess."

Rhaenyra hesitated, her mouth hanging slightly open. "It happened once, during the early stages of our marriage. Since then, I have not seen him."

"I should hope not. My sister does not deserve such betrayal," he muttered, his shoulders drawn back in a tight, defensive stance. "Does he know?"

"I cannot say for certain," she answered, avoiding his gaze. "We have not spoken in a long time."