𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟗

NAERYS WONDERED IF AEGON HAD A death wish

NAERYS WONDERED IF AEGON HAD A death wish. The way he emptied every jug of wine he would come across was concerning. She cringed slightly at the sight of him downing yet another glass. It made her wonder if his body ever received a drop of water, or if the alcohol was the only fuel he required to get out of bed on occasion. She observed him subtly during supper. They were surrounded by the rest of the Greens.

Otto and Alicent were making light conversation with Helaena, posing questions about the children. No one dared to ask about her marriage to Aegon, the answer was painfully clear to everyone.

He would rather drown himself in his cups than try to spend time with his sister-wife.

With a sigh, Naerys moved her eyes over the dining hall, thinking. Her gaze latched onto the Queen and her genuine smile. The seat to her right was empty, the one that still belonged to King Viserys. He found himself once again unable to crawl out of bed, his illness incapacitating him. One day soon, her husband would take his last breath, and the civil war for the Iron Throne would begin.

Alicent Hightower was undoubtedly an anxious woman. As much as she tried to smile and appear regal before the court and her subjects, small signs of her anxiety were visible. The skin around her fingernails was constantly bruised. Even now, as she conversed with her daughter whom she loved unconditionally, Naerys could see that plenty of other things plagued her restless mind.

Her father, on the other hand, was quite relaxed. Otto savored the wine and the position of power he struggled to maintain, certain that all of his plans would go as he had hoped. His gaze alone irritated Naerys. There was something deeply wrong with that man. His greed knew no bounds and she prayed that it would be the end of him.

Aemond leaned closer to her, whispering in her ear, "You have barely touched your meal."

"I am not very hungry," she said lowly.

"Have you been eating properly these last few days?" he questioned, arching an eyebrow.

"Yes, I have," she replied instantly.

"Liar," Aemond mumbled, shaking his head in reproach. "I do not wish to see you faint on our wedding day. If it happens, let it be because I exhausted you at the end of our night."

A burning sensation filled her cheeks. He smirked triumphantly at his victory. "Aemond."

Aegon must have been paying attention to their hushed conversation, because she heard him scoff mockingly. Despite his simple reaction, he remained silent and avoided looking at the both of them. That was odd. Aegon would never miss the chance to take a jab at his younger brother, especially if the topic was Aemond's future wife.

His eye raked over her. "I am merely jesting."

"I surely hope not, my Prince."

The smallest hint of a smirk appeared on her face. Aemond's look of amusement morphed into one of disbelief. "Someone is feeling bold today."